Outdoor snake concerns

tortiella

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hey everyone. I won't be letting my little one out until he's big enough to at least try to protect himself, but I wanted to ask this now ahead of time. I'm in sunny Tucson AZ, and I'd love to build an outdoor enclosure. The only issue is that we have an unholy amount of rattlers where I live. It's a pretty common occurrence to see someone post on fb about finding one in their yard. I'm worried that one might see my tortoise habitat and take it as a desert oasis bnb they can stay in. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hey everyone. I won't be letting my little one out until he's big enough to at least try to protect himself, but I wanted to ask this now ahead of time. I'm in sunny Tucson AZ, and I'd love to build an outdoor enclosure. The only issue is that we have an unholy amount of rattlers where I live. It's a pretty common occurrence to see someone post on fb about finding one in their yard. I'm worried that one might see my tortoise habitat and take it as a desert oasis bnb they can stay in. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Im not sure how a snake and tortoise would react in your situation. In the wild snakes are one of the species that benefits from Gopher tortoise burrows and they have been known to share them, mostly snakes are pretty avoidant of other animals though.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Snakes in general, and definitely rattlers only strike when they feel threatened or when they identify a pray animal. Venomous snake fangs are more delicate than other snake species and they are particularly careful with what they strike at. They don't just see something unfamiliar and see how it tastes.

As long as your tort is bigger than a duck egg, he/she should be just fine I reckon.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Just do your best to make sure your enclosure is secure and other animals cannot penetrate over, under, or through.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I've been fortunate never to actually see a rattler, but I've heard them shake their tails before. I don't think that it would go for the tort, but just to make sure it doesn't startle it make sure a snake can't get in. No mesh side wall and make sure nothing can get in. We have coyotes squirrels, and racoons here in Texas and I wouldn't be surprised if one tried to take out a good sized tortoise that lived in the back. We also used to have a rat problem under our house and we blocked up any holes and we haven't had seen or heard a rat down there in years. Just make sure the holes are small and build gate for your entryway with a latch.