Outdoor Sulcata tortoise table

bzhei

Hi! I would like to share my outdoor tortoise table. It is 3' x 6' and houses my Sulcata Tortoise named DUTortie hatched by a friend who breeds sulcatas here in the Philippines last March 27, 2017.

'Tortie spends time outdoors from 9am to 4pm getting unfiltered natural sunlight.

20170616_095637.jpg

'Tortie has a lot of space to roam and explore (for now..hihihi). There are two hides to choose from, an inverted clay pot on the farthest corner and a long driftwood on the other half of the enclosure. Carabao grass abound the enclosure. 'Tortie likes to take bites out of the grass and go on exploring.

20170520_172217.jpg

Lots of slate for basking and feeding. Different grades also provide exercise for 'Tortie.
20170520_172238.jpg

20170520_172335.jpg

Here's 'Tortie munching on some veggies. You can also see several hyrgo/thermometers in different areas of the enclosure to monitor humidity and temp.
20170614_095533.jpg

I soak 'Tortie every morning for 20minutes before going outdoors. I rarely see the water dish used and this is one of those rare instances.
20170602_144827.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm curious to see what your results will be in your warm climate. Please keep us updated as the months pass by.

bzhei

I'm curious to see what your results will be in your warm climate. Please keep us updated as the months pass by.

Sure thing Tom. I actually have other sullies here that I attempted the 'wet' closed chamber method but I can only afford 2x3' indoors and when I covered the enclosure, my humidity skyrockets and temp gradients are lost. I'm currently at 83% humidity ambient outdoors and ambient temp right now is 87F in the shade (11:25am here right now)

I'll ask the wife if I can build a 2x8' closed chamber so I can make comparisons.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
This is amazing. I am going to do something similar. Thank you so much. I have big plans for my outdoor space for when he's bigger but at 6 inches he isn't quite big enough. This will be great for the interim

bzhei

This is amazing. I am going to do something similar. Thank you so much. I have big plans for my outdoor space for when he's bigger but at 6 inches he isn't quite big enough. This will be great for the interim

Thanks and I'm glad to have shared an idea. The clay bricks are drystacked so when 'Tortie gets bigger I can just add another table 'module' and open up one side to make the floor area longer. =)

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
:<3::tort::<3:
Hi! I would like to share my outdoor tortoise table. It is 3' x 6' and houses my Sulcata Tortoise named DUTortie hatched by a friend who breeds sulcatas here in the Philippines last March 27, 2017.

'Tortie spends time outdoors from 9am to 4pm getting unfiltered natural sunlight.

View attachment 210413

'Tortie has a lot of space to roam and explore (for now..hihihi). There are two hides to choose from, an inverted clay pot on the farthest corner and a long driftwood on the other half of the enclosure. Carabao grass abound the enclosure. 'Tortie likes to take bites out of the grass and go on exploring.

View attachment 210416

Lots of slate for basking and feeding. Different grades also provide exercise for 'Tortie.
View attachment 210417

View attachment 210418

Here's 'Tortie munching on some veggies. You can also see several hyrgo/thermometers in different areas of the enclosure to monitor humidity and temp.
View attachment 210419

I soak 'Tortie every morning for 20minutes before going outdoors. I rarely see the water dish used and this is one of those rare instances.
View attachment 210420
Awww, 'Tortie is adorable. You created a very lovely home for him/her.

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
North Georgia
Habitat looks good! You may be better at plant identification than I, but be sure to include only tortoise edible plants. You'll find out "green means go" with Sulcatas and there desire to eat.

nuzul arief

Indonesia
Hi bizhei, you have a cool outdoor playpen.. are you using open indoor enclosure, can you share some pics.. what is your humid and temp on your indoor enclosure..

bzhei

Hi bizhei, you have a cool outdoor playpen.. are you using open indoor enclosure, can you share some pics.. what is your humid and temp on your indoor enclosure..

Thanks! =) i'm using an open indoor enclosure. It's kinda tiny. just enough to keep 'Tortie during the night where he spends hiding in his hide. Humidity in the enclosure is around 83% in the open area and 90% in the humid hide. Hot side temp is 95F cool side is 84F lately.20171013_085242.jpg 20171013_085257.jpg
He's nearing 7mos old now. growing slowly but steadily. =)