outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggers

5 Year Member
So I've had my Russian tortoise (Kolbee) for a month or so now, and since being a member on the forum i have really thought about an outside enclosure.

How big should the enclosure be? What should it have in it?

Also I'm worried about the winter time. You see I live in Illinois, so it can get pretty cold in winter. Would I bring him in during those cold months? have a tank which he lives in now, would i put hi in that?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
An outside tortoise yard is ideal for about any species of tortoise....if you have extreme weather conditions during winter you certainly can bring in your tort and have a secondary enclosure indoors just for this reason.....

Since you have a tort species that would brumate if in the wild...you will also want to research this process as much as you can so that you can make an informed decision on yes or no to brumate your tort....if you elect to overwinter (keep him awake for winter months) then you will want to make sure your indoor enclosure is set up to "attempt" to do this....lol....some folks have no prob with their tort during this time and then some folks, no matter what they do, have a russian that will attempt to brumate itself even in a enclosure designed to keep them awake artificially....I only mention this so you will know what to expect some.... :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How big could you build an enclosure in a location that will get sun and shade (which amounts will vary with the season) and also have good drainage?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I make the outdoor enclosures as big as I can and use them during fair weather. When the weather is no good, I simply leave them in their indoor set up.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom said:
I make the outdoor enclosures as big as I can and use them during fair weather. When the weather is no good, I simply leave them in their indoor set up.

Agree with the above.
Russian torts love pacing, and space. You can't make the outdoor enclosure too big (except if you need to make it predator proof). Your tort could probably stay outside in your area several months out of the year.
If you need to have a hardware screened top, then go with 4' x 8'. You can have a lumbar yard cut a 4'x8 piece of exterior plywood into three 16" sections cut the long way. Then cut one of them in 1/2. Cap the corners with a trianglar piece of wood. Staple plastic garden fencing to the bottom or bury the wood down 8", and back fill with untreated soil. Landscape.
Voila.

Status
Not open for further replies.