Overrun!

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a nice day🥰

I have a quick question(I know I’m the rambler but I’ll try keeping this to the point😂)

I’m here looking after squirt for a few weeks and noticing the bug population is absolutely booming in there! I’ve never seen them like it😬there’s just hundreds if not thousands of little whiteish silver guys jumping around in there, crawling all over the hides, food, water dishes etc, I think they’re springtails but I’m not 100% sure, I don’t think they’re anything harmful and don’t appear to be bothering squirt, they only seem to crawl on her shell, not her skin.

Either way just more of an annoyance if anything, they’re getting bloody everywhere😂we’ve kept doing turnovers to try and bring the population down some, it worked for a bit, then BOOM! The craziest I’ve seen them!

I know people say to bake/boil the substrate to rid of them for a while, but I honestly don’t think I can bake over 140L’s of substrate in a tiny gas oven without it taking a ridiculous amount of time😂plus ultimately I know no matter what they’ll probably return, just the nature of keeping them, but how on earth do I calm them down?! Or would you just get a fresh batch altogether? If I ever see someone say their substrate is overrun with them, I tend to recommend a refresh.. but would you guys bother in this situation or should I just wait n see?🥲

I don’t mind ordering a new batch.. just curious if it’s even worth it? I can deep clean the enclosure, hides and everything, but there’s bound to be a few little buggers left behind..which is all it takes to start the process over😅

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Photo or it didn't happen! :)
Can you dig a hole in the substrate to the bottom liner to show how damp it is?

And... in favorable conditions they live 3-5 weeks. Their population should decline soon.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Photo or it didn't happen! :)
Can you dig a hole in the substrate to the bottom liner to show how damp it is?

And... in favorable conditions they live 3-5 weeks. Their population should decline soon.
I can indeed! It’s still pretty damp after multiple turnovers, it’s crazy how well this set up holds humidity! Which they’re clearly loving!🥲We haven’t added water in weeks now! I know that first photo looks particularly wet, but that’s under her water dish where little spills happen, they’re naturally drawn to that area… mmm maybe I need to give them longer.. but also scared they’ll just keep on booming🤣
Hopefully these photos give people a good look at what they are though, I’d be happier if I knew for certain they’re a helpful springtail crew! But still want them to calm the hell down!😂

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
  • IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You can remove water and food dishes for the night to let this areas to dry out a bit. The substrate doesn't look too wet, I expect they will die off soon. But a few more "turnovers" will be, probably, needed.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You can remove water and food dishes for the night to let this areas to dry out a bit. The substrate doesn't look too wet, I expect they will die off soon. But a few more "turnovers" will be, probably, needed.
Good idea actually didn’t think to take them out at night, no I’d say it’s stayed the perfect moisture tbh, really happy with it.. and so are these damn bugs🤣 fingers crossed they will die off, I’ll continue with the turnovers

Ultimately would you not bother replacing it if she’s not due a deep clean for some time yet?🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Good idea actually didn’t think to take them out at night, no I’d say it’s stayed the perfect moisture tbh, really happy with it.. and so are these damn bugs🤣 fingers crossed they will die off, I’ll continue with the turnovers

Ultimately would you not bother replacing it if she’s not due a deep clean for some time yet?🙂

If they don't bother Squirt - just let them be. I doubt you can get rid of them by just replacing the substrate.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
You can not get rid of them. They will always come back. Just let them do their thing and help keep squirts enclosure clean.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If they don't bother Squirt - just let them be. I doubt you can get rid of them by just replacing the substrate.
You can not get rid of them. They will always come back. Just let them do their thing and help keep squirts enclosure clean.
Fair enough, you’ve confirmed my suspicions that there’s likely no getting rid altogether, appreciate the input, I’ll leave them to it, thanks guys!😊