Parasite came out alive

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello.
Today, at the evening soak, Ninja drop in the water (not inside feaces) this parasite.
I'm concerned because she was de-wormed at 11 this month (9 days ago) and have no symptoms at all.
She eats very well, has a good weight (34/35 - 5,5 cm carapace), her poop his solide little closed bags, she urinates and sometimes urates as well. I dont let her poop in the enclosure, i daily spot-clean, but she usually does her needs in the bath. The enclosure is clean, the food i give her is washed, i dont understand...
Is this normal? Having this parasite expeled alive and having no symptoms?
I'm thinking taking to the vet but first, i was hoping to hear it from you, i trust the forum more than anything else.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 71

AnimalLady

I do not think that is normal, doesn't seem normal. Did you treat for larvae too?

Let's wait for the more experienced people to help.. Maybe @Yvonne G can help?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello.
Today, at the evening soak, Ninja drop in the water (not inside feaces) this parasite.
I'm concerned because she was de-wormed at 11 this month (9 days ago) and have no symptoms at all.
She eats very well, has a good weight (34/35 - 5,5 cm carapace), her poop his solide little closed bags, she urinates and sometimes urates as well. I dont let her poop in the enclosure, i daily spot-clean, but she usually does her needs in the bath. The enclosure is clean, the food i give her is washed, i dont understand...
Is this normal? Having this parasite expeled alive and having no symptoms?
I'm thinking taking to the vet but first, i was hoping to hear it from you, i trust the forum more than anything else.
Many thanks.

What species of tortoise? Where did you acquire the tortoise from? Does the tortoise graze outdoors? I personally would not freak out..but I would take a new sample of poo to the vet to see what it shows now..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The anti-parasite medication makes it uncomfortable for the parasites to live inside the tortoise. So, besides killing some of them, it also makes them come out in the poop. Your tortoise will need another dose of de-wormer in about 10 days from the first dose. This second dose kills any parasites that were eggs during the first dose and have since hatched.

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
The anti-parasite medication makes it uncomfortable for the parasites to live inside the tortoise. So, besides killing some of them, it also makes them come out in the poop. Your tortoise will need another dose of de-wormer in about 10 days from the first dose. This second dose kills any parasites that were eggs during the first dose and have since hatched.
Thank you @Yvonne G
I will take her to the Vet tomorrow. Already made an appointment.
Regards, Bruno

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
What species of tortoise? Where did you acquire the tortoise from? Does the tortoise graze outdoors? I personally would not freak out..but I would take a new sample of poo to the vet to see what it shows now..
Hello, @ascott !
Ninja, is a "Testudo Graeca graeca" from Morocco. Her story is here if you like to read it.
I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow for a second dose of de-worm, as @Yvonne G mention it.
Thank you for your concern.
Regards, Bruno

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Usually only eggs get passed and you would never see them. When whole worms get passed, there is either a great number of them or they are dying/dead. The adult worms live 100% in the host animal.

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Usually only eggs get passed and you would never see them. When whole worms get passed, there is either a great number of them or they are dying/dead. The adult worms live 100% in the host animal.
Thanks for the info!
As i said, i will take her to the Vet tomorrow, and hopefully i bring some good news.
I'll keep you updated.
Regards, Bruno

Last edited:

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
So, Ninja went to the Vet today, and, as expected still has parasites (seen on microscope).
She will de-worm for the next 3 days and within a week i'll take her poop to the vet to see if ot was enough.
So far everything is going as expected, and we hope it all ends well. She keeps healthy, eating and active.

Thank you all for the valueble info and i'll keep you updated about Ninja!
Regards, Bruno

Prairie Mom

This happened me with a cat once. A worm came out in front of me right on my lap. EEEeeewww:) The vet basically gave the same explanation that Yvonne gave. I'm glad Ninja is doing well and that you're taking such good care of him! Good luck getting rid of the yuckies!:)

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
This happened me with a cat once. A worm came out in front of me right on my lap. EEEeeewww:) The vet basically gave the same explanation that Yvonne gave. I'm glad Ninja is doing well and that you're taking such good care of him! Good luck getting rid of the yuckies!:)
That would have finished me,absolutely petrified of worms,I don't know what i'll do if torts get them,

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
That would have finished me,absolutely petrified of worms,I don't know what i'll do if torts get them,
OMG, I am too. I'm fine with snakes and other bugs and what not but the one thing I just cannot deal with is worms. The thought of parasites freak me out more than anything.

When I first got my Sheldon he was treated with Panacur as a precaution. I was so scared, lol.

Glad to hear that Ninja seems to be doing good. I hope this is done with soon.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
OMG, I am too. I'm fine with snakes and other bugs and what not but the one thing I just cannot deal with is worms. The thought of parasites freak me out more than anything.
And it.s getting worse as i get older, I swear worms never used to be this big
When i do the gardening i look like a stormtrooper lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's very good news! Now if you keep the habitat clean, pick up the poop as you see it, and clean up any left over food at the end of the day, hopefully Ninja will stay parasite-free. But all bets are off once he goes outside to live.

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
That's very good news! Now if you keep the habitat clean, pick up the poop as you see it, and clean up any left over food at the end of the day, hopefully Ninja will stay parasite-free. But all bets are off once he goes outside to live.
I do hope so! @Yvonne G
Yes, i keep her enclosure clean, and remove the left over food. The poop it's easy to pick, she usually does her needs in the afternoon soak, what leaves very few often that she poops at the enclosure.
Ninja will not go to live outside, i live in a apartment, she does have the veranda all for herself though, with natural light and in the Summer, i can open the windows to let her get natural sunrays (uvb). For now (autumn/winter), i put her a couple of hours in the sunny days (as today) at other window in the house where the sun is more direct and she seems to love the natural light/heat ambient.
I had already the new substrate at the enclosure (coco coir) and the new MVB bulb by Zoomed. She seems to be pretty good and active.
I aprecciate your help very much! This forum helped me a lot. :<3:

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    782.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

jorg

5 Year Member
Hi, i had also this problem with Some new animals. It where a lot of Worms. After give them a 3 day cure with panacur it was over. But sometimes there can stay worm-eggs behind and hatch. It is a 30 day cyclus. If your tortoise makes the move to throw over it can be a sign if he have Worms. I had once an animal where the worm came from his mouth. Sorry for my bad english

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi, i had also this problem with Some new animals. It where a lot of Worms. After give them a 3 day cure with panacur it was over. But sometimes there can stay worm-eggs behind and hatch. It is a 30 day cyclus. If your tortoise makes the move to throw over it can be a sign if he have Worms. I had once an animal where the worm came from his mouth. Sorry for my bad english
Hi @jorg ! Thanks for the inputs.
Ninja already took two separated doses of Panacur, separated by 10 days. Now (yesterday) at the Vet, her feaces were analysed and no worms or eggs or found at the microscope. I hope everything is fine for now :)