Parasite control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I have goats, chickens, ducks, and rabbits. For mite and internal parasite control, Apple Cider Vinegar, Grape Seed Extract, and Grapefruit Seed Extract are commonly used.

Anyone know if reptiles can safely consume a few drops of these products in their water?

Thanks,
Chad

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
That should be fine to give them. :) You can also give your tortoise butternut squash which has a natural wormer in it and the added bonus of being high in vitamin A. I feed butternut squash once a week and have never had a worm problem.

Danny

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Praise God for butternut squashes & for our overloaded Danny!!

Bestest wishes for Timmy ~
Purpod

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Danny, do you mean butternut squash as actual butternut, squashed? Or is it pumpkin or gem squash? Just checking so I can give Tallula some :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Butternut squash is a type of squash you can buy in the produce section, or sometimes it will be sold fresh or frozen, all cut up and ready to go. The second option is probably easier for the keeper.

Here's what it looks like:
330xzyv.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
What Kate posted is the squash :D You can also use pumpkin, but butternut squash is readily available through out the year. At least here in the states it is. :D

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
AWESOME ! Thanks Kate hehehe, its what I thought it was! I just thought you may call something by a different name in the States hehehe.
And it's better cooked right? Can I serve it to her luke-warmish, or should I give it to her cold? Great!! I will buy some butternut today :D

And thanks Danny, I will see which is available at the store....Im not really a butternut fan, and Nick is not a pumpkin fan! Lol. But for Tallula....anything :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Cooked but not completely mushy, then cooled. My little guy liked it better room temperature but not fridge temperature.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I can't always fine fresh or frozen butternut, but they carry jars of it in the baby food aisle :D

Kristina

Stazz

5 Year Member
Oooooooooo kyryah ! That sounds like a better plan than me buying the actual butternut, as i don't eat it! Is the baby food one still the same as it would be if it was a normal butternut? Clever :D THANKS

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, it is the same stuff, only it is strained and thinner. Baby food usually has very acurrate labels because of alergy issues. No preservatives, just squash and water :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Well I've been searching for butternut baby food, but only found Organic Pumpkin baby food, no preservatives...guessing thats just as good for vitamins and deworming for little madam? :D

Stazz

5 Year Member
Oh well, miss pickiness did not like it....I wouldn't even eat it haha. Think it was just too fine for her, so will buy REAL butternut and freeze it :)

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Stace,
I buy a real BNS cook and freeze it, take out about a handfull a week and Charlie attacks it like crack!
Don't be afraid when the pooh comes out orange!!!

Stazz

5 Year Member
ORANGE POO ! Oh my Lordy ! Thanks for warning me Bonnie & Matt hahaha, I prob would have RACED her to the vet if I saw that hahahaha. AWESOME ! Thanks so much, that sounds easy enough :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Stacy, remember that sometimes it takes them a little while for them to decide if they really like it or even want to try it. Don't get discouraged if she refuses it the first few time you give it to her. Eventually she will come to her good senses and find she really does love it. Mine did and that goes for both BNS and Pumpkin. :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Ok great thanks Robyn !!! Boy do I love this forum ! :D
I bought her a real butternut, going to give her some tonight....the pumpkin baby food just looked gross and smelled gross, I certainly wouldn't eat it....and I think it was too fine for her, it was basically like jelly lol, not the right idea!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I'm not a squash person, so I don't know how to cook it. What is the best way? I don't want to cook out any of the nutrients.

Status
Not open for further replies.