Pestacides in plants

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
How do I check for them In the actual plant is it possible ? Please help me because I have got this spider plant and want to put it in my torts enclosure but I can until I know it's safe

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Pestacides

What is usually recommended is this. Wash the dirt off the plant roots, that will have the bad stuff in it. Then repot it in clean dirt free of the bad stuff. Then, when it gets new sprouts or after about 3-6 months it will be safe to put in. Now, if your tort doesn't eat it, you could do all the above and add it in now.

Also, because it's a spider plant, you can speed up this waiting buy taking one of the clumps of "spiders" off the plant and start a new one from it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Pestacides

First, repot it in clean, non fertilizer soil. Make sure it contains non of those white balls in the soil!!! Then trim off lots of the leaves, and let it grow new ones as a house plant.
The important thing is that you don't feed any of the old/original leaves. This then should make it safer. I don't say safe, because there are pesticides used that are taken in by the roots. Maybe you can find ministry certified organic ones?