Pesticides

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Whenever I buy a plant, I usually just spray it with water and clean it off, and sometimes re-pot it. Then I'll put it in the enclosure, but it's usually a plant that my tortoise wouldn't want to eat, just for a hiding place, or decoration like a ponytail palm or dracaena. But two days ago, I was at Walmart and purchased two succulents, hens and chicks and golden sedum, and cleaned them, and I put them in the enclosure, thinking she wouldn't really eat them. She tried to eat the hens and chicks, so I took it out before she could, but she showed no interest in the sedum, so I left it in there. Yesterday I noticed there were two bites taken out of it. I still have it in there because I figured she tasted it, didn't care for it, and will leave it alone. The succulents came from a place called "The Cactus Collection." So I emailed them asking about pesticides and still haven't gotten a reply. Is it likely they use pesticides on them? And if so, how long until it's safe to put them in the enclosure? Also, I have had a hibiscus from Lowe's for about two and a half or three months, should that be safe now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can't use the same strength of pesticides and fertilizers with cactus and succulents that you can with regular plants as they are more susceptible to being damaged by them. I know that we all advocate not using bought plants right away in the habitats, but I've always done so and have never had any adverse reactions to it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:D okay, so whacky OCD lady here....I personally would not use any plant in the enclosure for at least one entire year of seasonal growth....so there is that...lol

But I also don't feed greens unless they are organic...OCD member here, I think I already mentioned that, right? Did I ? :p:p:p