Petsmart Russian Tortoise

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I went to my local petsmart to get a few items for my Female Russian torts enclosure and saw they have Russians on sale. This cute little female tort (I believe) caught my eyes! She looks healthy and she is quite small. I want to get her badly but not sure if I should. I hate that they can't live in the same enclosure w/o possibly killing one another.
Boy or Girl??
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391533805.237448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391533823.170936.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391533875.053640.jpg

Cutie
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391533841.987914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391533857.848827.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Of course the tort is cute...they all are :D just keep in mind if you are going to get the tort you will want to plan for two individual enclosures...you can enjoy each tort without them being in the same enclosure...and if that is not something you are prepared/want to do, then I would strongly suggest against you acquiring another tort....I know some folks have multiples but that even is not a guarantee another enclosure will not be required....

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
You should have two enclosures just for quarantine. Is your set up indoors or outdoors right now? If its outdoors and your enclosure is large you can divide it in two . If you in the winter indoors you will have to be prepared for purchasing lights etc. You will have to weigh it all out. Summer time is a good time to get torts if you have the room outside.You don't have the cost of lights etc. . Even if you have to pay full price it will be cheaper as you don't have to by lights.Then you have time to work on these things slowly until winter like Extra enclosure etc . And quarantine .

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
That looks like a girl if that is the tail sticking out there, but it is hard to see. You should always quaratine new arrivals, especially Russian torts from Petsmart. 2 females should be ok to keep together if yours is indead a female. I have been looking all over Dallas for females. They are hard to come by. I have 2 males and 1 female currently and I need a few more girls to make some breeding groups.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'd like to see some clearer pictures and up closer, especially if you can see where the vent is. At this point, it looks like it could be a female. I agree, you will have to quarantine, as you should do no matter what type of tortoise or where you get it. Is your other one about the same size? Being the same size will help them have a higher chance of getting along, once they are together.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
In December of 2012, I fell victim to the "oh they look so pitiful all cooped up in that tiny space" ploy. And they were on sale for only $ 59.00. So, I bought the puny one because I thought it might be a female.

Today, that puny runt is now rapidly gaining on my largest female. The new girl, Charlotte, is now a healthy 729 grams and by far my best eater. She was about 300 grams Christmas of 2012.

Good luck with however you decide.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
It is easy to be a victim lol. I always volunteer to get the dog food at the pet store which is always either Petco or Petsmart so I can see those adorable tortoises. The look on their faces always cracks me up they look at me as if to say what are looking at. What keeps me in check is space. I have not convinced my husband to build me a large shed or greenhouse :/

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The only reason, and I mean the ONLY reason I did not get as many as I could when the sale was on at Petco over the thanksgiving holiday was because I could not find any females and I am not trying to start a russian war in my one available garden. None. Not even a girly looking male or two. Every single one I saw had a HUGE tail. I did find one female Greek at a Petsmart on 820 in Arlington but decided that I could not find space for her. She was a beautiful little thing though.

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
The female I have is slightly larger. I previously had her in with my male but he kept biting her so I setup another enclosure for her. I don't think she would attack this little female but I don't really no. She was never the aggressor with my male. If I do get her I do plan on putting a lot of hides and plants in the enclosure. The worker at petsmart said she has been there since Monday and was with a Greek but he had to be moved because he was constantly trying to mate with her. When I got my female from Petco in October she was the only female in the tank with 5 males! It's so hard not to get her lol!!

My Kallie
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391556543.749759.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391556557.781941.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391556701.646136.jpg

Petsmart tort
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391556794.073627.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MaddieGA

I have to tortoises- a baby and an adult. Even if both were adults, I don't feel safe putting them together. It would be a LOT safer to put them in desperate enclosures. You never know what could happen. Good luck! [YELLOW HEART][TURTLE]

Sorry, separate, not desperate :)