russian tortoise questionso i got

R

Raymond23

i got a few question but like if my female russian tortoise is pregnate what are signs and my male rt bites the female one alot and she always in the hideaway and her shell is cold should i get another lamp, Plus my female russian tortoise eyes are like the outside under her eyes are kidda yellow but i can take a photo is she sick should i return it to petsmart?

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
i got a few question but like if my female russian tortoise is pregnate what are signs and my male rt bites the female one alot and she always in the hideaway and her shell is cold should i get another lamp, Plus my female russian tortoise eyes are like the outside under her eyes are kidda yellow but i can take a photo is she sick should i return it to petsmart?
As far as being pregnant I don't know how to tell. And for the one being cold and hiding, I would be less concerned about getting another lamp and and just separate them. I think this is a sign of the bullying everyone keeps telling you about. I would just take their past advice and separate them ASAP.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was told to you already the two can not live together. They need to live in separate enclosures or your female will get sick and die from your male not leaving her alone and the bullying because he is there, which you are already seeing in the female.
As I already told you too, an X-ray is the only way to know if she is carrying eggs. Or she will start to dig a nest.
Please actually take the advice given to you and use it before it's too late for your tortoise.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Like we’ve all told you several times, you need to return or rehome her ASAP, and figure out how to care for the male correctly. Did you ever read the care sheets we gave you?

R

Raymond23

It was told to you already the two can not live together. They need to live in separate enclosures or your female will get sick and die from your male not leaving her alone and the bullying because he is there, which you are already seeing in the female.
As I already told you too, an X-ray is the only way to know if she is carrying eggs. Or she will start to dig a nest.
Please actually take the advice given to you and use it before it's too late for your tortoise.
what if i add a nother female tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
what if i add a nother female tortoise
You have to have a yard size enclosure with lots of sight barriers, feeding and water stations and hides. However, it still might not work and the male would still have to be separated.
If you want to breed them. Then make two enclosures. Put them together too breed and then separate them again. Putting them together only too breed.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
And even then, I don’t think you’re anywhere near ready to be breeding tortoises.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
NO, you should not get another one. You should return the one you got or rehouse it. Try taking care of ONE until you can properly care for it. All you are doing is putting all the torts in danger of dying. You have not followed any advice given to you and it has been repeated over and over. Take care of the one first, when you finally get that right then maybe think of getting more!

R

Raymond23

NO, you should not get another one. You should return the one you got or rehouse it. Try taking care of ONE until you can properly care for it. All you are doing is putting all the torts in danger of dying. You have not followed any advice given to you and it has been repeated over and over. Take care of the one first, when you finally get that right then maybe think of getting more!
lady dont tell what to do with my tortoise ill jsut put them in the same enclosure but close half of it

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
lady dont tell what to do with my tortoise ill jsut put them in the same enclosure but close half of it

Raymond, at this point it is neglectful. You are choosing to put your tortoises in poor conditions, knowing that it endangers their health. Imagine that you were locked in your bathroom with only the things necessary to survive. Would you be surviving? Yes. Would you be thriving? Would you be able to live a full, happy life, living in something the size of your bathroom? This is the equivalent of what you’re doing to your tortoises, and honestly, I would call it abuse because you are knowingly doing it to them.
Do what’s best for your tortoises, not for you.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Dude, chill out. She's just trying to help. I think she may be frustrated like I am with you because you keep asking for advice, getting the advice, and then doing the exact opposite. Like others have stated, I would get your setup, attitude, and everything dialed in good for one tortoise and then maybe a couple years down the road maybe consider breeding them then. Good luck man.

Last edited:

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Cutting the living space for both tortoises in half if not a good solution. You need to have properly sized enclosure for both of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everyone needs to offer advice and try to help. If you can't do that without getting frustrated or demanding in your statements move on to help someone else.
You can't tell people what to do and then expect them to do it.
Please let's help him try and get this right for his torts with suggestions on low cost solutions

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Everyone needs to offer advice and try to help. If you can't do that without getting frustrated or demanding in your statements move on to help someone else.
Please let's help him try and get this right for his torts with suggestions on low cost solutions
Personally I was frustrated because of the well being of the tortoises. Almost every post I have read numerous people offering advice was met with argument. So many people want to help, I felt like if you're not telling him what he wants to hear you are automatically met with resistance and an invitation to arguments. If I came off sounding like a jerk earlier, or now I really don't mean to.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
He has bin told numerous times, over and over and still ask the same questions like if he don’t get the answer he wants he will keep asking. I know we should be patient but it is not working. Sometimes you just have to be blunt. I don’t mean to be mean but, everyone is getting frustrated. What will happen next is no one will answer him. That’s not good ether. I have not said anything till now. These torts are at a lot of risk of dying with the care they are getting. And that is very frustrating.

R

Raymond23

He has bin told numerous times, over and over and still ask the same questions like if he don’t get the answer he wants he will keep asking. I know we should be patient but it is not working. Sometimes you just have to be blunt. I don’t mean to be mean but, everyone is getting frustrated. What will happen next is no one will answer him. That’s not good ether. I have not said anything till now. These torts are at a lot of risk of dying with the care they are getting. And that is very frustrating.
aii i dont like u i seperated them aready but in the same enclosure but i split the enclosure aready so.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I understand. However, it's only our business to recommend, not tell and insist someone does something. In the end it's still their choice. He's a kid and he's here. Better then those that refuse to hear the truth and leaves.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
aii i dont like u i seperated them aready but in the same enclosure but i split the enclosure aready so.
Okay, it's good you got them separated. However, do work on a bigger enclosure for each of them. At least a 4x8 foot for each adult Russian. If space is a problem, build them each a second level. A lot of people are short on space a builds a second level. I know they are small, but in the wild the little guys roam a very big area and so we need to give them more then what most think they need.
Keep in mind, everyone here has your tortoises best interest in mind. We are very passionate about tortoises and want the best for them even when they aren't ours. We also don't want you to go through the pain of losing one. We also understand that sometimes money is tight. Except for the lights and heating, most everything else has cheaper ways of doing things if needed.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Okay, it's good you got them separated. However, do work on a bigger enclosure for each of them. At least a 4x8 foot for each adult Russian. If space is a problem, build them each a second level. A lot of people are short on space a builds a second level. I know they are small, but in the wild the little guys roam a very big area and so we need to give them more then what most think they need.
Keep in mind, everyone here has your tortoises best interest in mind. We are very passionate about tortoises and want the best for them even when they aren't ours. We also don't want you to go through the pain of losing one. We also understand that sometimes money is tight. Except for the lights and heating, most everything else has cheaper ways of doing things if needed.

:)