russian tortoise questionso i got

kellygirl64

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
i got a few question but like if my female russian tortoise is pregnate what are signs and my male rt bites the female one alot and she always in the hideaway and her shell is cold should i get another lamp, Plus my female russian tortoise eyes are like the outside under her eyes are kidda yellow but i can take a photo is she sick should i return it to petsmart?
Hi !! I hope your tortoise gets better soon.

R

Raymond23

Okay, it's good you got them separated. However, do work on a bigger enclosure for each of them. At least a 4x8 foot for each adult Russian. If space is a problem, build them each a second level. A lot of people are short on space a builds a second level. I know they are small, but in the wild the little guys roam a very big area and so we need to give them more then what most think they need.
Keep in mind, everyone here has your tortoises best interest in mind. We are very passionate about tortoises and want the best for them even when they aren't ours. We also don't want you to go through the pain of losing one. We also understand that sometimes money is tight. Except for the lights and heating, most everything else has cheaper ways of doing things if needed.
well it only a 4 inch tortoise so it not a adult yet

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
well it only a 4 inch tortoise so it not a adult yet
My male is only around 4 maybe 5 inches and is an adult. If yours was purchased from a pet store like Petco, etc, he is a wild caught adult. That's what they sell. So yes, he does need a bigger enclosure. The female will get or is bigger then the male.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Dipa : this is Raymond's thread. If you want to talk about YOUR tortoise, start your own thread.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
If the female is carrying eggs, look for her to be restless pacing the edges of the enclosure and digging holes. She may also go off food before laying. From what you have said I am going to say she isn't "gravid" I think is the term (someone correct me if I am wrong).

What concerns me is the condition of the eyes you mentioned. Sounds like a very sick tort...I suggest a vet visit or giving it to an owner who can properly care for a sick tort. Do NOT take it to a pet store, half of them straight up abuse them.

R

Raymond23

If the female is carrying eggs, look for her to be restless pacing the edges of the enclosure and digging holes. She may also go off food before laying. From what you have said I am going to say she isn't "gravid" I think is the term (someone correct me if I am wrong).

What concerns me is the condition of the eyes you mentioned. Sounds like a very sick tort...I suggest a vet visit or giving it to an owner who can properly care for a sick tort. Do NOT take it to a pet store, half of them straight up abuse them.
oh it not yellow it just his skin and she is eating alittle

Jackie Cramer

Allen,Tx
i got a few question but like if my female russian tortoise is pregnate what are signs and my male rt bites the female one alot and she always in the hideaway and her shell is cold should i get another lamp, Plus my female russian tortoise eyes are like the outside under her eyes are kidda yellow but i can take a photo is she sick should i return it to petsmart?
When a female is pregnant it doesn't really show. They will get heavier carrying eggs, so weight is one indicator. When their ready to lay eggs they will dig a hole and you will notice that. A vet can xray them to see but its not cheap and theres no reason to put them through that.

Lucky The Tortoise

Florida I guess
Raymond, as a newbie to tortoises, I took advice (although not on this forum) and My tort is doing much better.
Like they've been saying, If you keep asking for advice on optimal conditions for your tortoise, and turning them down, then that's not only rude, it's neglect. The female not eating might also be linked to the actual food they're being provided... And, seriously, it costs only about $200 for another enclosure, bedding and food, as opposed to two neglected $120 tortoises. Let that sink in.

R

Raymond23

Raymond, as a newbie to tortoises, I took advice (although not on this forum) and My tort is doing much better.
Like they've been saying, If you keep asking for advice on optimal conditions for your tortoise, and turning them down, then that's not only rude, it's neglect. The female not eating might also be linked to the actual food they're being provided... And, seriously, it costs only about $200 for another enclosure, bedding and food, as opposed to two neglected $120 tortoises. Let that sink in.
yea i aready seperated them

R

Raymond23

No. Separating them will not work unless they are in different enclosures. Please tell me their diet, and the size of their cage.
there enclosure is 3 feetacross and 2 feet wide i seprated them both so they both got light they eat romain lettuce and carrot mostly romaine and there 4 inches

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Carrots are not good food. Romaine lettuce should not be the main part of a diet. They need to be fed fibrous weeds, not lettuce. Look up weeds in your yard (if it isn't treated with pesticides or fertilizers) to see if they are edible on this website:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

3'x2' is much too small for a Russian. They each need an enclosure at least twice the size of the one they are in now, preferably even larger than that.

What type of UVB bulb are you using?

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Raymond I don't want to sound harsh...but is it possible you just aren't ready to be an owner? I have seen you get the proper advice repeatedly and you are still making the same mistakes. 4X8 minimum is the proper size for EACH tort. And romaine lettuce is not a good primary food...turnips, collards, kale, mustard greens and so on is best, dark leafy stuff.

If you can't nail down the basics they are better off with someone who can. If things do not improve soon I would consider what is best for them and think about re-homing them.