Picked up this little guy today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-57640.html#axzz29ReATd00

I posted this up today with the hope that someone would adopt her. Shellysmom got in contact with me and decided that she wanted her for her private collection. The owner got off work at midnight and I went and got it and just finished getting settled in for the night (2:30am central time). I went and picked her up tonight because I just had a hunch that I needed to get this guy just as soon as I could and boy was I right.

I don't even know where to begin, i'm really kinda down about it actually but i'll start with the water situation. The bowl is one of those big rock looking abominations that no baby turtle in the world could possibly get into and if it did manage to get into it, there's a good chance it wouldn't be able to get out so for the last 2 months she's owned it, it hasn't been able to drink water. Oh and no soaks or anything at all for the little guy.

Food, well this isn't much different. First it was offered "veggies" which turned out to be just lettuce and also some rock hard turtle pellets (not soaked in water of course to soften it up, that would of required common sense) in a bowl that, once again, was entirely too deep so it couldn't even get to it if it wanted to. I just don't understand the deal about the dishes being 2 inches deep for a turtle that is an inch long. I know this isn't the place to be bashing people for their ignorance but I don't feel this is the product of ignorance, it's just stupid. Oh and speaking of stupid the person where she bought it told her to feed it every other day so it's shell wouldn't become deformed. That makes perfect sense. She did feed it meal worms a few times a week so it did get a balanced meal from those occassionally.

Other than all that, the turtle is wide eyed and bushy tailed, moving all over the place and so forth. The instant I got home I prepared a shallow, warm bath for it and allowed it to do something it's probably never had the opportunity to do. I've never seen an animal drink soo much soo fast as this little guy did. I doubt it hasn't had a drink of water in the 2 months this girl owned her.

I placed it in a small rubbermaid container and placed the container under a CHE right now the temp is a steady 80 degrees with 80% humidity. The substrate is coconut coir that is slightly moist.

Since it came with a 10 gallon I decided to make use of it and took a bag of gravel that I had and spread it around and then on one side I poured some coconut coir in over the gravel. I filled it up with water just to the point where the gravel is covered. So the idea was to have just the gravel wet and still have a semidry area (coir) for him/her to retreat from the water. I figured since he hasn't had any water in months I certainly wasn't going to deprive him any longer. So now he has a little wading to do what he pleases. I haven't put him in it yet, i'll wait til the morning to do so.

Anyways, after I am able to establish that he his healthy and well and ok for transport i'm gonna ship him off to Fl where hopefully he will live generation after generation in Erika's care.

Oh and for anyone wondering the reason she got rid of it was because her apt found out and wanted to charger a pet deposit of 200 so she opted to give it up.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Glad that it's getting into better hands! I picked up one in Austin this afternoon, it seems to have been well and properly cared for, lots of energy for such a small critter :)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
jtrux, you are my hero!!!!! and you certainly saved this tiny baby from a life of chronic dehydration and dry turtle pellets, BLESS YOUR HEART! I'll PM you my phone #. :)

Also, can you tell what kind of boxie it is? And, I know you got in really late form your superhero duties, but we need PHOTOS!!! ;)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
It is an Ornate. I'll get some pics here shortly. And wouldn't you know it, he LOVES hanging out in the water. Last night before going to beds I fed the mealworms that the girl gave me some greens and this morning I offered a few to him. He ate three without hesitation so he definitely has an appetite. Oh and he is constantly drinking water, I don't mean he has his head submerged constantly but rather as he cruises around he regularly stops and takes a few gulps. Seems like he's really coming out of his shell!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
In the dishes that he had in his cage.

001.jpg

Just cruising.

007.jpg

Comparison.

008.jpg

And the face off!

009.jpg

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
LOL, love the photos! Toooooo stinkin cute! Especially the face off. Yours is like, "Who the crap is this new guy?"

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yes he is tiny!! He is definitely not shy, has no problem eating in front of me. I offered some greens and some soaked Mazuri but he is only interested in worms which is fine with me because it shows me that he is actively pursuing food which is good.

I don't think he is considered much of a rehabilitation because he doesn't appear to be in terrible shape but getting him on a healthy feeding schedule is important and hopefully in a few days he will be ready for his new home with Shellysmom.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What a great conclusion. Little boxies like this need a majority of protein at this size anyways. Hes a wee one. Glad you guys little group of rescue you started had shonwn a positive result.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jtrux said:
It is an Ornate.

Doesn't look like an ornate to me.

More like an eastern or maybe three toed....

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
She said Ornate and hes got some little squiggly lines on him but you might be right.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah, I see those lines...maybe a hybrid of some sort. I'm actually not too familiar with ornates, but I would think the lines and shell pattern would be more bright and vivid if it was a true ornate.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Well he shipped off to Shellysmom tonight so hopefully in a few short hours he will be at his new home!

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
What do you think his age is? And what were you feeding him while you had him?

Status
Not open for further replies.