Pictures in S.africa of P.Pardalis!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
At about the age of two or three, my females were all rounder. More hamburger like, to borrow Neal's term. The males were all more oblong, or more "hot dog" shaped. The one in the pic looks more like my females. I don't suppose he took a plastron/tail shot of that one did he?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That was all the pictures he took. From the small amount I can see of the tail it does resemble a young female. I told him if they run across any others to take a bunch of pictures from different angles. He will be there for 4 more weeks and they are actually on a nature reserve LOADED with wildlife.

ben awes

5 Year Member
fantastic! so great to see these in the wild. As a p.pardalis owner I really envy his experience, wow!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I'm so glad he got the truck to stop and is sharing photos with you, that are then shared with us! That is an amazing colour pattern on that baby. She looks like she has freckles. I'm sort of surprised she came out of her shell for him to capture her expression. Are they naturally curious in the wild?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
He is a turtle tortoise enthusiast. He is who I grew up on the bayous with catching turtles every chance we got.

Guess what he wants to order when he gets back into the states? That's right some p.pardalis babies lol. He is in love now. He said the tortoises weren't shy at all which seems like a typical pardalis trait.

We are all hoping he comes across plenty more before returning home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
diamondbp said:
He is a turtle tortoise enthusiast. He is who I grew up on the bayous with catching turtles every chance we got.

Guess what he wants to order when he gets back into the states? That's right some p.pardalis babies lol. He is in love now. He said the tortoises weren't shy at all which seems like a typical pardalis trait.

We are all hoping he comes across plenty more before returning home.

He is way up in the middle of nowhere, but the tortoise in the nature reserve down on the Cape behave the same way. No fear whatsoever.

What is he doing out there. There is nothing but wilderness in that whole area. Are you at liberty to discuss it publicly? I spent a few weeks in George just a little South West of there.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
He works for a construction company that specializes in extremely large air conditioning systems. In Louisiana they work on very large oil rigs/ ships/ tankers/ etc. This is first time with a job out the state. Usually the furthest they go us Florida so this was a big surprise to go to Africa.
I love how far south he is. He is really seeing p.pardalis at their truest purest form.

I wonder if anyone knows the exact area that the original pardalis stock in the USA came from? I'd love to know how far south my young ones parents originated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm going to ask him. The thing is, there is really no way to know exactly where they were collected. At best, we will find out the area where the exporters "shop" is set up.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Well guys it seems like we will see a good amount of tortoises before my boy comes home. Enjoy this stunning dark 17inch female!!ImageUploadedByTortForum1393431682.614290.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393431692.144603.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393431700.109016.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393431714.074060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
diamondbp said:
Well guys it seems like we will see a good amount of tortoises before my boy comes home. Enjoy this stunning dark 17inch female!!

It is good to see that there is still a decent population in at least some areas. The fact that they are there at all along with the truck story illustrates the need for concern though. :(

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
Wow! These pictures and tortoises are just awesome .... I'm literally drooling😛 all over myself, jaw dropping . It's so amazing to see GPP in thier natural environment. This thread made me walk outside and have a quick look at my GPP group and cherish them 100x more. Thanks for sharing , you sure made my day. 😃

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Torts"R"Us said:
Wow! These pictures and tortoises are just awesome .... I'm literally drooling all over myself, jaw dropping . It's so amazing to see GPP in thier natural environment. This thread made me walk outside and have a quick look at my GPP group and cherish them 100x more. Thanks for sharing , you sure made my day. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

It makes my day that it makes yours. I don't know why more people aren't drooling over this post! I really hope we get to see another male. Like I said he will be there for another 3 weeks and they are actually on a reserve

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
This is awesome! =) Love seeing the tortoise on their natural habitat! I MEAN LOOK AT THAT SHELL! Beautiful well rounded!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
This is amazing! I keep coming back to read the updates and see the new pictures. Your buddies expressions are priceless. It shows the wonder and excitement of the experience. So glad he's getting the opportunity and then proceeding to share it with us all!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Not another leopard, but a super cool (super old) male browsprit tortoise! I just love the gulars.ImageUploadedByTortForum1393864408.485975.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393864597.944361.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Very cool! I had never even heard of that one. Do they all have that long piece coming off their shells? How do they eat? They must have ridiculously long necks.
Love his bracelet! I despise any animal abuse, but the senseless and cruel abuse seen in the collection of tusks, horns and fins makes me especially heated.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
I have some friends who are going travelling in 2 months time and are visiting SA, I have specifically asked them to find some Leos and take some pics. Hope they are able to find some!!-I'll post on this thread should they find any!! :)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
jshaw9_ said:
I have some friends who are going travelling in 2 months time and are visiting SA, I have specifically asked them to find some Leos and take some pics. Hope they are able to find some!!-I'll post on this thread should they find any!! :)

In which part of SA they will travel?
Maybe they can take some pics of the other beautiful South African tortoises.