Pictures of wild G. insculpta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gatineau, Québec
Hello people!!

I just thought I would share some in situ shots of G. insculpta and habitat.

All of these photos were taken without disturbing the animals. They are from two small populations located in southern Québec, Canada. They are an endangered species in Québec due to collecting, road mortality and habitat loss.

Sanguinaria canadense. I believe they feed on those plants.
IMG_2651.jpg

Sanguinaire_2653.jpg

Ginsculpta_2729.jpg

Ginsculpta_2726.jpg

Ginsculpta_2705.jpg

Ginsculpta_2700.jpg

Habitat in spring
IMG_0443.jpg

DSC_0205-1.jpg

Comments and discussion welcomed!! They are my favorite species in Québec.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, that's a pretty turtle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beautiful torts and flowers. The flowers almost look fake:D let's hope they don't get wiped out. Man ruins everything:(

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Nir said:
Hello people!!

I just thought I would share some in situ shots of G. insculpta and habitat.

All of these photos were taken without disturbing the animals. They are from two small populations located in southern Québec, Canada. They are an endangered species in Québec due to collecting, road mortality and habitat loss.

Sanguinaria canadense. I believe they feed on those plants.
IMG_2651.jpg

Great photos! I'm suprised that the Wood turtles are out already in Canada. I live in upstate New York, 6 hours south and our Wood turtles don't start showing themselves for almost another month.

Sanguinaire_2653.jpg

Ginsculpta_2729.jpg

Ginsculpta_2726.jpg

Ginsculpta_2705.jpg

Ginsculpta_2700.jpg

Habitat in spring
IMG_0443.jpg

DSC_0205-1.jpg

Comments and discussion welcomed!! They are my favorite species in Québec.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Good to know that there are still viable populations in Canada. Do you know where the in situ habitats are located? I would love to go field herping there. :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
tortoises101 said:
Good to know that there are still viable populations in Canada. Do you know where the in situ habitats are located? I would love to go field herping there. :D

I'm sure most everyone on here has only good intentions, but I'd opt for this information being shared in a PM (please!).

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, well done. I saw one captive wood turtle many years ago, but it is a real treat to see these beautiful photos of this animal in its element. Thank you.

Nir

5 Year Member
Gatineau, Québec
Thanks for the comments people! There are only about 15 populations of Wood turtles in Quebec, and most of these (including these two) are evaluated at under 100 adults (probably lower than 50). Pretty sad, but recently, there are some good conservation efforts to protect them and their habitats.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
bigred said:
Ive always loved those turtles, I read that they are very smart

That's right! They are supposed to be some of the best maze-runners in the turtle world.

I did a little reading up on them and it stated that they were the smartest turtle. I had a chance to get a pair a few years ago but didnt because they needed care that I couldnt give them

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
bigred said:
I did a little reading up on them and it stated that they were the smartest turtle. I had a chance to get a pair a few years ago but didnt because they needed care that I couldnt give them

Why are they considered so hard to care for?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
bigred said:

Why are they considered so hard to care for?

I think they are more aquatic

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Wood turtles are semi-terrestrial meaning they primarily live on land but frequent water. All of their food sources are found on land. In most areas they brumate at the edges of large streams, rivers and sometimes small lakes under grassy overhangs out of the water. In some areas they actually brumate in the water like aquatic turtles do. They breed in the water in the springtime and then both sexes leave to spend the summer on land. They can often be found in shallow waters during very hot, dry spells in the summer. But they are primarily terrestrial from May through late September, early October throughout most of their range.

I live in an area in New York State where Wood turtles are still very common. Moved a small female off the road last week. In about 3 weeks the larger breeding females here will be out of the water nesting. Within two weeks after that the males will be out once they realize that there are no more females in the water to breed with! I've found Wood turtles walking across my lawn, in my driveway and all over everywhere else around here. I have lived with them my whole life.
They are one of the easiest turtles to keep in captivity. They are omnivorous and will eat almost anything (except a lot of greens). But they do require a lot space and are a truly temperate climate species that should not be kept hot. They are also excellent climbers and have been known to give a nasty bite when threatened. Captive breeding takes a lot of space and true seasonal changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.