PINWORMS

Shann1422

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
My Hermann just had her yearly physical and her stool came back with a moderate amount of pinworms. She’s going in for a de-worming tomorrow. They are going to place a tube to deliver medication. Has anyone had this done before? Also do i need to do anything with her enclosure? Change substrate?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had a Herman tortoise with many pinworms. I was given liquid medicine, and I put it on his food. He had his treatments. Then I brought a fecal sample back and he was fine. I'm not an expert however that doesn't seem correct for moderate pinworms. @zovick @Yvonne G can help

zovick

10 Year Member!
My Hermann just had her yearly physical and her stool came back with a moderate amount of pinworms. She’s going in for a de-worming tomorrow. They are going to place a tube to deliver medication. Has anyone had this done before? Also do i need to do anything with her enclosure? Change substrate?
Delivering the medication via a tube is more accurate than putting it on food and hoping the tortoise eats the correct dosage. However, placing the tube is probably overkill for treating pinworms. Almost all tortoises have pinworms and only heavily infested animals need to be treated for them. In the end, it is the vet's call, I suppose.

Is the tube going to be left in place for possible future treatments and/or tube feedings or is it a one time thing? One must be sure the tube is in the stomach, not the lung, and then one must still be careful not to put too much liquid into the stomach which could overfill it and be inhaled by the tortoise causing inhalation pneumonia.

Is your vet a good exotics vet? Hopefully so.

If you have the animal wormed, the smart thing to do is change out your substrate so the tortoise doesn't become reinfested from possible worm eggs which could be present in the old substrate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
While treating him, I'd keep him on newspaper. Then once he's cleared. I'd swap out his substrate to get rid of any eggs that may be there. Or may have hatched.
(I'm guessing that your enclosure is on the small side?)
Changing out ALL of the substrate in a large indoor or outdoor enclosure may not be economical

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Delivering the medication via a tube is more accurate than putting it on food and hoping the tortoise eats the correct dosage. However, placing the tube is probably overkill for treating pinworms. Almost all tortoises have pinworms and only heavily infested animals need to be treated for them. In the end, it is the vet's call, I suppose.

Is the tube going to be left in place for possible future treatments and/or tube feedings or is it a one time thing? One must be sure the tube is in the stomach, not the lung, and then one must still be careful not to put too much liquid into the stomach which could overfill it and be inhaled by the tortoise causing inhalation pneumonia.

Is your vet a good exotics vet? Hopefully so.

If you have the animal wormed, the smart thing to do is change out your substrate so the tortoise doesn't become reinfested from possible worm eggs which could be present in the old substrate.
I guess I need to read more thoroughly.

Shann1422

Boston, MA
While treating him, I'd keep him on newspaper. Then once he's cleared. I'd swap out his substrate to get rid of any eggs that may be there. Or may have hatched.
(I'm guessing that your enclosure is on the small side?)
Changing out ALL of the substrate in a large indoor or outdoor enclosure may not be economical
Changing the substrate is going to be a big job and pricy. But I’m willing to do what’s best for her

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Changing the substrate is going to be a big job and pricy. But I’m willing to do what’s best for her
I wish I knew how long the parasites can live without a host. Or how long the eggs can remain dormant in the ground. (Quite a while, I'm sure)
I always return my affected tortoise after the 2nd round of treatments are done. And it has worked for probably 22-25 years