Plant identification

allyenc

Location (City and/or State)
California
These two plants are growing on the other side of my yard. If anyone can help me identify them i would appreciate it. I want to know if my tortoise can eat it bc i let it out on that side of my yard from time to time

Attachments

• 7FB23D1D-FECD-4157-A21A-962288DA9E05.jpeg
    7FB23D1D-FECD-4157-A21A-962288DA9E05.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 0364E302-95C7-4A71-AC9F-49FC375357E0.jpeg
    0364E302-95C7-4A71-AC9F-49FC375357E0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like mallow - edible, and wild mustard - not palatable

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These two plants are growing on the other side of my yard. If anyone can help me identify them i would appreciate it. I want to know if my tortoise can eat it bc i let it out on that side of my yard from time to time
I agree with Yvonne and Rosemary. First one is mallow and its an excellent tortoise food. Mine eat lots of that this time of year.

I can never remember the other one, but that is not what I call wild mustard. The one I refer to as wild mustard has broader leaves. Mine will eat some of that one, but its not their favorite. Its not toxic or harmful in any case. Mine will also eat some of the wild mustard, but that one isn't their favorite either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the other one is called hawkbit, or narrow leaf hawksbeard. As I said, I can never remember the name, but I've had it ID'd, it grows all over my area, and my tortoises have been nibbling at it for years.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Pretty sure it’s a mustard Tom; not the most common black mustard I think you are showing there (the BIG one); one of the more spindly ones; summer mustard or tumble mustard, something like that. It’s the four-petaled yellow flowers that are the giveaway. My Russian will eat some of the black mustard in the spring, when she’s at her hungriest but not the smaller one for some reason. Then again she doesn’t get that excited about hawkbit or catsear. Tortoises, sheesh.

At any rate

allyenc

California
I think the other one is called hawkbit, or narrow leaf hawksbeard. As I said, I can never remember the name, but I've had it ID'd, it grows all over my area, and my tortoises have been nibbling at it for years.
Thank you!! They all look similar so it’s confusing but i appreciate it.

allyenc

California
Pretty sure it’s a mustard Tom; not the most common black mustard I think you are showing there (the BIG one); one of the more spindly ones; summer mustard or tumble mustard, something like that. It’s the four-petaled yellow flowers that are the giveaway. My Russian will eat some of the black mustard in the spring, when she’s at her hungriest but not the smaller one for some reason. Then again she doesn’t get that excited about hawkbit or catsear. Tortoises, sheesh.

At any rate
Thank you so much!!