Plant/weed identification

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I'm learning a lot about weeds in my yard to be able to provide a varied and healthy diet to my Russian tortoise, Diego. I'm having trouble finding this one anywhere...
Please help? Thank you!

IMG_4649.JPG IMG_4650.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks sort of like ragweed??????

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am of the opinion that the torts know more about their eating than we do. My Sulcatas eat most things down to the dirt. I have never seen them eat any of the stuff "I" might consider suspicious. How ever I would never pick anything that I don't recognise as food and try to feed it to them, mine are each in their tort pen all day long free grazing and if I don't get to pulling out weeds I don't know is food for a few days, they don't eat it. They know whats food for them and what isn't. My box turtles also eat greens and they don't pull on weeds either. However, that is just how I treat my animals, experts would probably disagree with me. I only have 16 turtles and tortoises, I am no expert. I do raise some fine animals tho.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I am of the opinion that the torts know more about their eating than we do.

I get where you are coming from; I’m a fairly casual feeder to my Russian. But LaLa is a new member and ragwort is toxic to some mammals so for now best to keep it away from Diego while she gets more comfortable with her plant id skills. :)

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Thanks guys!

Diego is mostly a free grazer with lots of good weeds in his habitat but I give him snacks from outside his area for variety. Maggie, I was feeling like your approach made sense to me and I would leave it up to him. Then I read a sad post on here about some old torts that should have known better eating a toxic bush and one died and the other in critical condition! Heartbreaking. I have to say... I love reading this forum but sometimes it's like looking up every ache and pain on web MD... it makes me paranoid to hear all the possible tragedies! But since Diego is new to me and I don't know his history (maybe he's been hand fed spring mix his whole life) I'm just gonna be a helecopter mom for awhile! Haha!

I'll put that ragwort out. He hasn't taken a bite yet but better safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to keep in mind the fact that more than likely the tortoise you have is not from the continent you are now keeping him in. He probably has the good sense to not eat toxic plants where he comes from, but all the plants and weeds here are not what he's used to seeing or knowing about.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I love reading this forum but sometimes it's like looking up every ache and pain on web MD... it makes me paranoid to hear all the possible tragedies!

That’s a good analogy. The conflicting info is a definitely a lot to process. It gets easier. I don’t think anyone here agrees on 100% of what and how to feed! :) eventually you’ll figure out what’s best for you and Diego.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It is difficult I understand. There are thousands of people here on the forum, most raise their torts as close to the "right or best" way they can. I thought I was doing the best I could to raise my 125 lb. Sulcata Bob. But I let him eat too much clover and he got a bladder stone as big as a baseball. The Vet performed the surgery wrong and he died. So who actually killed him? Me or the Vet? I always have said it was the Vet. It has taken me 3 years to believe that it was me. I simply thought the clover was a small thing. I was and still am traumatized about his death. So my warning is even tho you THINK you are doing it right, you might not be, so stay on the forum and continue to ask questions, research, research research. There are many experts on here, listen to their advice and use what is best for you and your tort. My sister has been involved in tortise and turtle rescue for about 40 years. I ask her if I am in doubt about something. She is an expert. I have 15 turtles and tortoises, for a few years I operated a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. But I am no expert. If I give advice, I always say, this is MY opinion or this is how I do it with my animals. And believe me, if I am wrong there are lots of forum members who just love to correct me. :) But that's good for me and any newcomer who needs answers. And, that my friend IS good advice!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Gosh that's so sad about Bob. I'm sorry that happened to him and to you. I didn't know that too much clover was bad. I keep thinking about the lady at the tortoise rescue telling me how easy of a pet they are... ya right! Thank you for sharing your story and your advice. I learn a lot here and I appreciate it so much. I will absolutely take your advice and continue to research. Thank you!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Clover is a legume (beans and peas) and thus higher in plant protein than other kinds of plants. It’s a great food; but too much of any food may not be good for a tortoise in the long run.

Think about it. Broccoli is a great and healthy food for humans but it wouldn’t be good if it was the only thing we ate, right? Keep working on a varied diet, just are you are. Everything in moderation. :)

After three years I’m only just now beginning to know my tortoise and that she is indeed an easy pet. I’m a fussbudget; I bet you’ll get there sooner than I did!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Gosh that's so sad about Bob. I'm sorry that happened to him and to you. I didn't know that too much clover was bad. I keep thinking about the lady at the tortoise rescue telling me how easy of a pet they are... ya right! Thank you for sharing your story and your advice. I learn a lot here and I appreciate it so much. I will absolutely take your advice and continue to research. Thank you!
I didn't notice that you are in Portland, I'm in Corvallis. I agree with you, I obviously didn't realize too much clover was bad either.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I didn't notice that you are in Portland, I'm in Corvallis. I agree with you, I obviously didn't realize too much clover was bad either.
And I'm not a new member, I joined in 2008, but I was sick and dropped out and now have come back as a newcomer.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh we are neighbors then! What kind of torts do you have? (Maybe there is a way to see this info but I'm hopelessly computer dumb so it's a chore for me to do even the simple things here!) So since we have the same natural environment I'd love to know what kind of weeds you find. Are your torts outside? If so when do you bring them in for the cold season? Hope you don't mind me picking your brain...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh we are neighbors then! What kind of torts do you have? (Maybe there is a way to see this info but I'm hopelessly computer dumb so it's a chore for me to do even the simple things here!) So since we have the same natural environment I'd love to know now what kind of weeds you find. Are your torts outside? If so when do you bring them in for the cold season? Hope you don't mind me picking your brain...

I have 2 Sulcata, 1 desert tort, and 12 box turtles,3 subspecies, T. Ornata, and Eastern. I used to operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue but I got too sick to take care of as many as I had. The Sulcata live in an insulated and heated tort shed, I open a doggiedoor every morning for Big Sam, and carry Knobby to his own pen. Big Sam is fairly aggressive and he broke out of his outside pen made his way to the smaller tort and beat him up. He cracked Knobby's plastron up to his carapace. The box turtles all live in different tort tables within the house, outside is 1 large swimmin hole for them. I also carry them out daily. Like I said I open the doggie door for Big Sam and give him the choice to take himself out, rain, snow or hot. the rest live inside so all stay in for the winter. The only weeds I have are dandylions, and deadly nightshade and one like dandylions but with fuzzy leaves I weedeat often, take out the fuzzy leafed one and the nightshade. We're going to be in the high 90's next week so all will be outside. Question me all you want, it's fine with me.