Plants for new enclosure.

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
As some of you might know, I'm working on a new enclosure for my tortoise.

This is what I have so far:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500820675.805882.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500820721.691656.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500820752.018126.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500820810.988401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500820838.089434.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500820879.723428.jpg

But the enclosure is looking a bit barren (Although I haven't added all the hides and dishes yet) and I have already planted some spider plants in it. The problem with the spider plants are that he can't really hide under them.

I'm considering planting some spearmint or oregano in there but outside of that I have no idea regarding plants that he can hide under.

Anyone who has any ideas?
I'm also open to feedback on the enclosure so far.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I wouldn't worry about plants to much, he will probably eat or trample on them. Put a few hides in there, pile up some spagnhum missing and around the hides and in some corners, add a couple of baths, a slate to feed on, put some orchid bark in there too, all these things make it a bit more interesting without sacrificing valuable floor space. Also he will have a few different terrains to walk on. Maybe a few branches he can walk under.
I throw millet(bird) seed in every couple of wks, it only grows about 2" high, it acts like a mini humid forest and they eat it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Don't know why but I assumed you have red foot. What species is it?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
A lot of tort keepers like the Testudo Seed Mix from Tortoise Supply. It sprouts fairly quickly, and you get a lot of seeds for the price: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

Violas/pansies (Viola spp.) and bellflower (Campanula spp.) are tasty tortoise plants as well, provided you have enough light for them. :)

Korall

Sweden
I wouldn't worry about plants to much, he will probably eat or trample on them. Put a few hides in there, pile up some spagnhum missing and around the hides and in some corners, add a couple of baths, a slate to feed on, put some orchid bark in there too, all these things make it a bit more interesting without sacrificing valuable floor space. Also he will have a few different terrains to walk on. Maybe a few branches he can walk under.
I throw millet(bird) seed in every couple of wks, it only grows about 2" high, it acts like a mini humid forest and they eat it.

The substrate is soil (From my garden) and on the top layer it's mixed with pure fir bark (Basically orchid bark)

I can definitely try adding a few branches.
Yeah, so far I only have 1 hide but I will add 2 more and both of them will be located on top of/close to moss to make them humid.

I do have a terracotta plate to feed on.
I will also add another water dish (Also a terracotta dish) so he will have two water dishes, one warm and one cool. So he can take warm soaks in one and in the other one he can cool off.

Korall

Sweden

Also, does it have to be specifically sphagnum moss? I already have a few pieces off living forest moss in there (I don't know what their names are specifically)

Korall

Sweden
A lot of tort keepers like the Testudo Seed Mix from Tortoise Supply. It sprouts fairly quickly, and you get a lot of seeds for the price: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

Violas/pansies (Viola spp.) and bellflower (Campanula spp.) are tasty tortoise plants as well, provided you have enough light for them. :)

One thing though, do they ship internationally? And even if so its going to be pretty expensive to ship a bag of seeds all the way from the United States :p

As for pansies and bellflower, I do have some pansies that he sometimes eats and I think my mom has some bellflowers in her garden.

Korall

Sweden

Here is he, chomping down on some rose petals and pansies mixed with cucumber:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500891584.387927.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also, does it have to be specifically sphagnum moss? I already have a few pieces off living forest moss in there (I don't know what their names are specifically)
The moss you have is fine. Dried leaves are good to add to substrate to

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
One thing though, do they ship internationally? And even if so its going to be pretty expensive to ship a bag of seeds all the way from the United States :p

As for pansies and bellflower, I do have some pansies that he sometimes eats and I think my mom has some bellflowers in her garden.
I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but it probably says it somewhere on their website.

I've also found ProRep Tortoise Seeds on Amazon, which provides a good variety for Mediterranean tortoises: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052U7NQC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You can find the plant list on ProRep's website: http://www.pro-rep.co.uk/portfolio/tortoise-feed-seeds A lot of the plants are weeds, but make good tortoise food, like plantain (Plantago spp.) and chicory (Cichorium intybus). If you're not sure about a plant, you can look it up on The Tortoise Table: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ :)

Korall

Sweden
I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but it probably says it somewhere on their website.

I've also found ProRep Tortoise Seeds on Amazon, which provides a good variety for Mediterranean tortoises: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052U7NQC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You can find the plant list on ProRep's website: http://www.pro-rep.co.uk/portfolio/tortoise-feed-seeds A lot of the plants are weeds, but make good tortoise food, like plantain (Plantago spp.) and chicory (Cichorium intybus). If you're not sure about a plant, you can look it up on The Tortoise Table: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ :)

Oh by the way, do you think I can plant a hosta plant in the enclosure? I know that the database labels them as feed in moderation.
And that they might be dangerous if consumed too much.
Because a hosta plant would provide some great shelter and hiding for my tortoise.

AmberD

Ontario
Oh by the way, do you think I can plant a hosta plant in the enclosure? I know that the database labels them as feed in moderation.
And that they might be dangerous if consumed too much.
Because a hosta plant would provide some great shelter and hiding for my tortoise.
I have a hosta growing in my indoor enclosure. Provides hiding space and my redfoot has only taken a few nibbles and hasn't bothered with it since.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have a hosta growing in my indoor enclosure. Provides hiding space and my redfoot has only taken a few nibbles and hasn't bothered with it since.
The hosta should be OK. My Russian tort took one bite of a hosta and never showed interest in it again, so it may make for some good cover instead of food. :) Who knows; every tortoise has different tastes, like people. The most important rule when it comes to tortoise diets is to provide as much variety as you can. I've also found that my tortoise is more likely to try new plants when more are available to him, so that's pretty neat. Good luck! :D

Korall

Sweden
The hosta should be OK. My Russian tort took one bite of a hosta and never showed interest in it again, so it may make for some good cover instead of food. :) Who knows; every tortoise has different tastes, like people. The most important rule when it comes to tortoise diets is to provide as much variety as you can. I've also found that my tortoise is more likely to try new plants when more are available to him, so that's pretty neat. Good luck! :D

Then il definitely get a hosta in the enclosure, since it provides a good hiding place and makes the area more interesting for my tort :p

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

Works great!! Been using it for over a year.