Plants in Tortoise habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallalilly

5 Year Member
I was curious if anyone grew plants in the habitat that their tortoise could eat. If so, what kind?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I prefer to transplant plants that I grow outdoors into my indoor enclosure. This way the plants get a good start outside, then my tort can enjoy eating them down inside. I do all different types of weeds and grasses.

Some people grow their plants in little trays then place the trays into the enclosure.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I grow seedlings (from bird seed + kale seeds) in shallow trays of organic soil, and the torts like eating the tops off of those. I also have some potted plants - there is a GREAT list with pictures on the Tortoise Table: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=5

I have spider plant, jade plant, hens and chicks, prayer plant, and Christmas cactus growing in my tort enclosures. They get some nibbles eaten out every now and then (they are not toxic for tortoises, though they are for mammals), but they are growing nicely. I plant them in flower pots that I rotate into the tort fort. That way they have a few weeks to recuperate from being trampled on.
You can also plant cactus pads... although those get eaten pretty quickly by my torts.

Team Gomberg said:
I prefer to transplant plants that I grow outdoors into my indoor enclosure. This way the plants get a good start outside, then my tort can enjoy eating them down inside. I do all different types of weeds and grasses.

Some people grow their plants in little trays then place the trays into the enclosure.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Like Team Gomberg, I transplant plants I grow outside into my indoor enclosure. I've got Swedish ivy, spider plant and a Boston fern. I tried planting seeds in my enclosure, but my tort probably trampled more than she ate. The bigger plants have lasted much better: she's eaten about half her Swedish ivy but ignores the spider plants. She likes to hide behind her fern and digs under it to sleep.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Once I put the plants into my enclosures they get eaten down to nubs in just days. Russians are little plant piranhas. :)

kallalilly

5 Year Member
Kerryann said:
Once I put the plants into my enclosures they get eaten down to nubs in just days. Russians are little plant piranhas. :)

I've only had mine a few weeks. He wasn't well taken care of before. He's not really eating. I've been giving him warm soaks almost daily. I was hoping if I grew some in his enclosure he would eat.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What was he fed before you got him? You may need to go back from that diet and slowly add in more foods, if it is a matter of him not wanting new items. Is it?

kallalilly

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
What was he fed before you got him? You may need to go back from that diet and slowly add in more foods, if it is a matter of him not wanting new items. Is it?

I know he had spinach before but the previous owner commented that he didn't eat much. He was kind of dropped on her from another person. I had a 3 toed tort for 12 years before. This RT is obviously different but I'm getting to know him. Trying to be patient in getting him where he needs to be.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, Kallalilly, tell us more about your enclosure, lighting,substrate, temps on warm and cool side, etc.

Meanwhile, soaking every day or so is good. You can add pureed baby food (carrots, squash) right into the bath water (probably about 1/2 jar to a small bath container). they get some nutrition when if they drink, and can apparently absorb some through some areas of their skin.

kallalilly

5 Year Member
I soak him in the tub pretty often. (Every 2-3 days) He loves it. I finally got him to eat! He likes for me to hold his food. I bought an artisan mix from the store until I can get some stuff grown. He likes all 4 variations and he ate some cabbage.

When I got my RT, he was in a small aquarium with pine bedding. :( I now have him in a large shallow Rubbermaid. I only have coco coir as a substrate that he seems to like to dig in. I'm working on getting him better lighting. I need a night time light. He has a shallow water dish he can soak in, but like I said before, he prefers soaking in the tub. I mist him between soaks.

tickle

5 Year Member
I just throw in a bunch of grass ans edible plant seeds and they get munched before they even get 2 leaves.if its the fall and u are going to hibrinate you're tort throw a bunch of pumpkin seeds the seedlings are a great natural dewormer and gets them under control before the winters nap.I have a feeling this is why pumpkins are ripe in fall my easterns also go crazy for pumpkin in the fall just a theory It doesn't wipe all the worms out but some worms in stumoch are benifitial it just cuts there numbers down and before hibrination this is good

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
kallalilly said:
I soak him in the tub pretty often. (Every 2-3 days) He loves it. I finally got him to eat! He likes for me to hold his food. I bought an artisan mix from the store until I can get some stuff grown. He likes all 4 variations and he ate some cabbage.

When I got my RT, he was in a small aquarium with pine bedding. :( I now have him in a large shallow Rubbermaid. I only have coco coir as a substrate that he seems to like to dig in. I'm working on getting him better lighting. I need a night time light. He has a shallow water dish he can soak in, but like I said before, he prefers soaking in the tub. I mist him between soaks.

You do not need night time lighting unless it drops into the low 50's. Russians should have night temps between 58 and 65 degrees. What are your temps? Do you have anything to make sure he can't get out of his enclosure? Russians are great escape artists. And pictures are always appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.