Plastron oddity - and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

impdragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi everyone,

I'm worried about my little Redfoot baby. I've had him for two months now and the entire time his plastron has looked odd. I figured it was the site after the egg yolk healing up, but it hasn't gone away, and I can't find anything online about it. I don't think it's shell rot...

photo.JPG

Also, I'm currently having issues keeping his humidity up. I can only get him to eat once every three days and sometimes I can't wake him up by soaking. :( But I believe this is a seperate issue.

Thanks, for any help you can offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like fungus to me. Some athlete's foot cream should help it go away.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Poor little guy! It's definitely not normal or a part of the belly button process but can be treated as Yvonne already mentioned.) keep us posted

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Where did you get your lil guy? Try Yvonne's suggestion. If it still looks bad, I'd have a vet take a look because, you also mentioned that he has other issues, like not eating for three days at a time and sleeping during warm soaks. For peace of mind, you may want to have his poop checked for worms and parasites. Try warm soaks with baby food squash. That really helps lil ones. Keep us posted.

impdragon

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone. Sadly, he passed away early this morning. It was so fast. :( Thank you for all the suggestions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, man...that sucks big time! I'm so sorry. Just for your information, shell fungus or shell rot doesn't necessarily cause the baby to die. I'm thinking you had a sick baby that was sick when you got it. So sorry.

impdragon

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
emysemys said:
Oh, man...that sucks big time! I'm so sorry. Just for your information, shell fungus or shell rot doesn't necessarily cause the baby to die. I'm thinking you had a sick baby that was sick when you got it. So sorry.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't too worried about the shell. I believe he got too dehydrated. I've had him for two months, and Los Angeles recently got really dry this last week. I was having trouble keeping the humidity up. I bought a humidifier and was beginning to make a fogger, but it was already getting too late.

I'm really bummed about it, but I don't think tortoises are for me, sadly. I've had a lot of trouble keeping terrestrial reptiles so far.

Anyway, I just didn't realize redfoots were so sensitive to humidity changes. Wish I'd known sooner, and I hope no one else makes the same mistake.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Likely its not your fault. Shell fungus won't make babies die, but if he had shell fungus to that severity, its likely you got him from somewhere he was already given very poor care. Hatchlings are very sensitive, sadly.

sharkrebellion

5 Year Member
Hey, where did you get your tortoise from? This same exact thing happened to me less than a week ago. You can PM me if you don't want to say where publicly (I got mine from a rather large company).

Status
Not open for further replies.