Platynota behavior

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Hi guys, I have question about platynota. 2 weeks ago i acquired a platynota, he doesn't have any problem in eating. but he is not very active and also he always goes to sheltered area whenever I put him outdoor. Or inside his torto table, he always goes inside the "cave". Is it normal? Thanks peeps

And here's his picture :)

Attachments

• 1395913629407.jpg
    1395913629407.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 219

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
mitchellr said:
Hi guys, I have question about platynota. 2 weeks ago i acquired a platynota, he doesn't have any problem in eating. but he is not very active and also he always goes to sheltered area whenever I put him outdoor. Or inside his torto table, he always goes inside the "cave". Is it normal? Thanks peeps

I have one like yours are also doing the same thing, I had him since last September. I have to move him from the corner to feed him and he will went back to the same corner to sleep or just look at me from the corner.

Are they the shy kind of Tortoise? I have the same question...

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Maybe ( I'm not a expert for geochelone) they have a phase at the moment while their a very inactive. Otherwise they are baby's and sleep very much which is normal. Or platynotas need a long time to acclimate and to arrive in their new home. But when they eat and drink sometimes I think don't worry :)

mitchellr

5 Year Member
bouaboua said:
mitchellr said:

I have one like yours are also doing the same thing, I had him since last September. I have to move him from the corner to feed him and he will went back to the same corner to sleep or just look at me from the corner.

Are they the shy kind of Tortoise? I have the same question...

I heard that they are a very outgoing species. maybe they are still very young, but im not sure. I hope experts on Platynota can help us here.

glaerey

5 Year Member
I've 3 with different characteristics.
one is very outgoing type, always walks around looking for people, will hi 5 with me if i put my hands out, not shy at all when handled.
another one is semi shy, likes to walk around but retract when see people or being handled.
the 3rd one is plain lazy, always sleeping at the same corner like yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have found that babies of most species behave much the way you describe. Especially after a move. Of course there are individual personality variations, but don't worry about what you are seeing right now.

Everyone I know that has been around adult platynota says they are great and very active and outgoing.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your replies. lets see as he grows, I'll monitor his health all the time. I already prepare the meds if some bad things happen

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I breed Platynota and unlike the adults, the babies often hide and only come out to bask and feed. AS adults however, they are like Red Foots. Great personality, active and not shy at all.

Good luck!

Scott

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Some of his pics

Attachments

• 1396063654212.jpg
    1396063654212.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 1396063672547.jpg
    1396063672547.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 154

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
mitchellr,
Your little Burmese star is going to be a REALLY pretty adult!! Wide stripes and all!!!

Ken S

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
I got mine yesterday and see similar behavior. Temps seem good 100/90's/83. Ate yesterday, basked awhile, then hid. Same story today. Nose and eyes look fine when I put her in the tub for soaking. Thinking the best thing right now is just to leave her alone so she can settle in. It's been hard not to hover and check on her all the time.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Mine is dead. So better be aware of your tortoise's passiveness. I believe mine got infected with virus.