Please help me

Marque

Location (City and/or State)
California
Just a week ago, i got a sulcata tortoise. He is a month old. When i got him from the breeder, he was lethargic and seemed like he had no life in him, at the time i figured he was just adapting to his new enviroment. He's got a great set up, a large shallow pool, cool hide, moist hide and warmer hide. He's got a UVA/B light giving him at least 12 hours of light a day and i soak him for 30 minutes a day. The first day i got him, he drank A LOT and passed a bowel. But now he just sleeps ALL day. I have to constantly check to make sure he's alive. He hasn't eaten since i got him and the breeder isnt responding to my questions about his previous behavior or conditions. About 3 days after i got him, he roamed his habitat utilizing the various temperatures of his habitat. But he still has not eaten, i dont know what to do. He has a tortoise block, hibiscus, grape and other leaves and baby tortoise pellets but not even a nibble. Is this normal for 1 month olds?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You're going to have to give us a bit more information. What are the temperatures? Basking area, warm side, coldest side, overnight?? What is the humidity. What is the substrate? What type of lighting are you using? Has he been eating? What are you offering?

The most common cause for what you are describing is temperatures that are too cold. It also could be the way it was cared for and started by the breeder.

A picture of your tortoise and the enclosure would be helpful.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Mark's post that the most common cause of these symptoms is the temperatures are too cold. Babies should be kept at a minimum of 80°F. Until the tortoise begins to respond, to show more normal behavior, I would keep it at 85°F and continue with daily soakings to keep the baby well hydrated.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
This is not normal for a baby. He should be eating if you are feeding the right thing. My babies would not eat flowers yet, they eat different lettuces, mazuri tortoise chow and some cactus(which they are not eating well right now) but I agree with the previous posts, more information would be helpful. good luck with your baby. I hope we can all help you get him spry and eating again. Hutsie

Marque

California
You're going to have to give us a bit more information. What are the temperatures? Basking area, warm side, coldest side, overnight?? What is the humidity. What is the substrate? What type of lighting are you using? Has he been eating? What are you offering?

The most common cause for what you are describing is temperatures that are too cold. It also could be the way it was cared for and started by the breeder.

A picture of your tortoise and the enclosure would be helpful.
Warm side is kept at 85, cool/moist is at 75% humidity and 75 degrees, hot side and basking is kept at 100+ degrees. I have been leaving him grape leaves, kale, cactus and other leafy greens.

Attachments

• 20171226_124812.jpg
    20171226_124812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

Marque

California
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Mark's post that the most common cause of these symptoms is the temperatures are too cold. Babies should be kept at a minimum of 80°F. Until the tortoise begins to respond, to show more normal behavior, I would keep it at 85°F and continue with daily soakings to keep the baby well hydrated.
Since I've got him he has been kept at 85 room temp, 75 in the cool and moist area and 100+ in the hot/basking area

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Warm side is kept at 85, cool/moist is at 75% humidity and 75 degrees, hot side and basking is kept at 100+ degrees. I have been leaving him grape leaves, kale, cactus and other leafy greens.
75° is too cold. They like it warm, especially as babies. They hatch in the hot and wet season in their native habitat. The daily low temperature is 85° when they hatch and ground temperatures stay around 95° that time of year!

I keep my sulcata babies at 80% humidity and a low of 82° with the temperatures during the day going up to 90°. A basking area of 95°-100° I soak daily in water that starts out at 98° when I fill their container. When it cools to 85° I refill with warm water. It stimulates bowel movement and their activity level giving them good exercise during the 45 min bath.

I think you will see a definite improvement if you bump up temperature.