Please help sick redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno nv
My redfoots been very sick I took him to vet he has res iv given him baytril it's all gone still sick he pooped slimy white stuff today hasent eaten in weeks :( taking him back to vet they did a test before for parasites dident see anything but I don't have the $120 to send feces to lab can they give him a dewormer anyway? Sorry writing is horrible I'm on my phone.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Worming an already sick tortoise needlessly can stress an all ready stressed system. You're doing baby food soaks and temps have been increased, yes? Treating a res and fixing the cause are two different things. Have the husbandry issues that brought it on been addressed and rectified?

I don't have red foots but some thing are universal.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Pumpkin works as a natural dewormer. Take the seeds, guts and a little of the harder outside and make a mush.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Reno nv
He won't eat pumpkin I tried I can put it along with baby food in soaks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Other than slimy poop and not eating, what are the other symptoms and cares like?

Please don't offer traditional worming meds unless you KNOW there is a reason to- they are basically a really strong poison that affects the parasites a little more than they do the tortoise.

As for pumpkin- it is certainly safe to try, and a lot of people swear by it, but there is no clinical evidence it works.

Are you providing basic nursing care for a sick tortoise? https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/basic-nursing-care

Also, since it is pooping and not eating, treat for dehydration as well- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/hydration

furandscales

5 Year Member
Oh man! I'm so sorry:( I don't know much about health problems in tortoises but all I know is that I will be praying!

Status
Not open for further replies.