Sick tortoise...please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeCee

5 Year Member
Ok so here's my update. Things are still not looking good it seems. I brought my tort back to the reptile vet yesterday and he lost a little weight. He overall looked a little brighter in his face, but he is still not eating or walking. The vet said he looks malnourished and anemic still and gave him a shot of vitamins and also a shot of antibiotics (baytril) in case he had any infection in addition since he was so weak. The vet also suggested continued soaks and to also soak the tort in pedialyte. The vet said if I am not able to get my tort to eat by today (Tuesday) then I should consider bringing him to the animal hospital tomorrow to stay during the day where he will be force fed by a tube and kept in the incubator until I pick him up after work.

I still do not know what to do. I am trying the pedialyte today but the tort will not eat. Even if I hold the food close to his beak so he just has to open up to take a bite still nothing. Now I have to consider bringing him to the hospital and I am worried about the bill as I already spent quite a bit already and to be honest I do not know how much more I can afford. Im not trying to be cruel, I'm just saying. Also my boss has been gracious allowing me to take time off for my tort's vet visits, but I do not know how much longer I can get away with. On top of it, I just read some
Bad stuff about baytril and am worried about that as well.

I am open to any advice or suggestions. I know ultimately I must make
My own decision in this matter, but I'm really at a loss and do not know what to do. I just do not want my tortoise to suffer. I feel so upset and depressed about all of this.

Please give your feedback, input, anything. Thank you.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
baytril (and all fluroquinilone antimicrobials) are strong ab's. However, very potent internally, particularly to the kidneys.

I kinda skimmed through this thread, did they do any diagnostics (ie, blood work, urinalysis, fecal, xrays) ??

Im thinking that this tortoise has had some issues for a long time, years most likely. Its nobodys fault. Its tough to notice subtle changes in an animal, let along reptiles of any significance.

I cant tell you how many animals we see in my hospital that come in sick and down, that were up and acting fairly normal the day before. Fact is, animals are much "tougher" than we are in terms of sickness and injury. In my 15 years in veterinary medicine, I would say, 10% (if that) of owners that bring their pets in actually catch chronic illnesses in time to fully rectify it.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I think Baytril gets a bad rap. I use it a lot here at my house and I have never had any problems with it. I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point. Any negative effects of Baytril are worth it considering how sick this guy is.

DeeCee

5 Year Member
reticguy76 said:
baytril (and all fluroquinilone antimicrobials) are strong ab's. However, very potent internally, particularly to the kidneys.

I kinda skimmed through this thread, did they do any diagnostics (ie, blood work, urinalysis, fecal, xrays) ??

Im thinking that this tortoise has had some issues for a long time, years most likely. Its nobodys fault. Its tough to notice subtle changes in an animal, let along reptiles of any significance.

I cant tell you how many animals we see in my hospital that come in sick and down, that were up and acting fairly normal the day before. Fact is, animals are much "tougher" than we are in terms of sickness and injury. In my 15 years in veterinary medicine, I would say, 10% (if that) of owners that bring their pets in actually catch chronic illnesses in time to fully rectify it.

Thanks for your reply. There weren't any X-rays taken. The vet said at this stage he didn't want to take blood from my tortoise. He said something to the effect that it could do more harm than good.

Have any of you had any successes with the vet force feeding your tortoise? I'm trying the pedialyte bath now, just to try everything the vet suggested.

DeeCee

5 Year Member
CLMoss said:
How is your tortoise doing today? I have been thinking about you. ~C

Thanks for asking. He's doing the same today, still won't eat. I'm calling the vet back today to see if I should bring him to the animal hospital Friday to be force fed. I gave him a pedialyte bath this morning before work and will soak him again as soon as I get home. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The vet said he looks malnourished and anemic still and gave him a shot of vitamins and also a shot of antibiotics (baytril) in case he had any infection in addition since he was so weak.

Is this the same vet that you originally took him to?? I would be very concerned about the amount of vitamins that he is being given...your last vet visit they gave injections for vitamin A as well ....if this is a different vet did you let the vet know that the prior vet gave a vitamin A injection as well (that was just a couple days ago?)...Baytril is not a bad antibiotic, however, it as well as some other antibiotics are hard on the tortoise kidney...so you should be doing at least one warm water soak and it should be for about an hour....

Also, the vet visits are a very stressful on a tort...so I personally would try to give him some time to relax at home with the daily soaks and I certainly would not allow him to receive any further vitamin shots....if the vet says that drawing blood will do more than good???? Did you ask him what the hell exactly that means? I would not allow someone to keep injecting crap unless they have drawn blood to know what they are trying to treat.....

There is no saying that all the visits and shots and force feeding will keep your tort from passing....so, with this in mind I would really reflect on what treatments you can offer to your tort in the calm and familiarity of his own home....you would be surprised at how long a tort can go without food...it bothers us humans in a way that makes us crazy---but that is our issue not the torts.....I would offer long warm water soaks, I would make sure all his temps are bang on, I would offer him as much outside time as really possible...I would offer fresh food to him every day and do the waiting game....now understand that in my opinion, that there comes a point where we have done alot to the tort and there is no apparent improvement, that we must facilitate a safe and calm environment for our trusting tort to be allowed to either work through what is ailing them and or let the cycle of life play itself out in which way it is meant to be.....I know that this sounds different than alot of folks saying "take him to the vet and have everything done" and when a tort is visually sick that usually means he has been ill for some time before we even notice.....again, this is simply my take and is in no way me telling you what to do...that as you stated, is going to be up to you....

I wish your tort a full recovery and I wish you a sense of calm and peace when deciding what you will do to help your tortoise....I hope he is simply going through a thing and will get on through it safely...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't believe the vet is injecting antibiotics without any type of diagnosis work. The final decisions is yours, but if the vet is suggesting force feeding, a feeding tube might be an option.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'm not sure if it's been said here yet, but a definate side effect of antibiotics, baytril in particular is loss of appetite. I don't believe that he will eat on his own until the baytril is done.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
ascott said:
Is this the same vet that you originally took him to?? I would be very concerned about the amount of vitamins that he is being given...your last vet visit they gave injections for vitamin A as well ....if this is a different vet did you let the vet know that the prior vet gave a vitamin A injection as well (that was just a couple days ago?)...Baytril is not a bad antibiotic, however, it as well as some other antibiotics are hard on the tortoise kidney...so you should be doing at least one warm water soak and it should be for about an hour....

Also, the vet visits are a very stressful on a tort...so I personally would try to give him some time to relax at home with the daily soaks and I certainly would not allow him to receive any further vitamin shots....if the vet says that drawing blood will do more than good???? Did you ask him what the hell exactly that means? I would not allow someone to keep injecting crap unless they have drawn blood to know what they are trying to treat.....

There is no saying that all the visits and shots and force feeding will keep your tort from passing....so, with this in mind I would really reflect on what treatments you can offer to your tort in the calm and familiarity of his own home....you would be surprised at how long a tort can go without food...it bothers us humans in a way that makes us crazy---but that is our issue not the torts.....I would offer long warm water soaks, I would make sure all his temps are bang on, I would offer him as much outside time as really possible...I would offer fresh food to him every day and do the waiting game....now understand that in my opinion, that there comes a point where we have done alot to the tort and there is no apparent improvement, that we must facilitate a safe and calm environment for our trusting tort to be allowed to either work through what is ailing them and or let the cycle of life play itself out in which way it is meant to be.....I know that this sounds different than alot of folks saying "take him to the vet and have everything done" and when a tort is visually sick that usually means he has been ill for some time before we even notice.....again, this is simply my take and is in no way me telling you what to do...that as you stated, is going to be up to you....

I wish your tort a full recovery and I wish you a sense of calm and peace when deciding what you will do to help your tortoise....I hope he is simply going through a thing and will get on through it safely...

I gota totaly agree...

and as for my 2 cents on Baytril not to upset anyone :( or anything but i will never use nor alow anyone to give my animals or reps Baytril.

DeeCee

5 Year Member
Snowqueen75 said:
Really hope he gets well soon sooo sad:(

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I am bringing him back one last time so the vet can force feed him and keep him in the animal hospital for the day. This will be my last attempt at the vet. After this, I feel that I will have done everything I can to help and will just let what is to be to be. I am continuing with the soaks. I will definitely update again once I have more news. Things are still the same right now - he's just sitting there and not eating. My poor little guy :(

DeeCee

5 Year Member
CLMoss said:
How is your tortoise feeling?

I brought Toby to the vet Friday for force feeding and a day stay at the animal hospital and picked him up after work. He seemed a little more alert once I brought him home, and I soaked him again. He did not eat this morning when I was home, I do not know if it was from the stress of the vet or if it's because he's still not well. He did move in his enclosure a little bit, more than he has moved on his own in a while. I will see what happens tomorrow. I am more hopeful than I was last week but I really have to get him eating on his own. I can't keep bringing him back to the vet for force feeding. His legs are still swollen however. They might have gone slightly but they are definitely still swollen so I don't know :(

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Thank you for getting back to us (forum). And please keep us updated! Can the vet teach you how to feed him? Good luck! ~C

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the update! Although I'm glad they were able to feed him through a tube, it's important to determine what is causing this and I just pray the antibiotics work. I know this must be difficult for you. We can clearly see your love for your tort and you have done all you can. Can't wait to hear from you again.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is he outside in the sun? how warm is his enclosure? if he is too cold he will not eat. Have you done the babyfood soaks?
the one picture you posted looks like an old tort to me.. what kind of history do you have?

DeeCee

5 Year Member
Laura said:
is he outside in the sun? how warm is his enclosure? if he is too cold he will not eat. Have you done the babyfood soaks?
the one picture you posted looks like an old tort to me.. what kind of history do you have?

He mainly lives in my house but I bring him outside. Right now he is inside. He does not have an enclosure in my yard. When I bring him out, I stay with him so he doesn't run away. In his healthier days if I turned my head he'd be halfway across the yard in about two minutes :p

The warmer part of his tank is 95-100 degrees. Yesterday it did get to 110 so I turned the heater off and just left the light on. The cooler part is 75ish. Maybe a little lower at 70.

I tried the baby food soak with gerber carrots once. I was not sure if I was using too much water with the baby food. What would you say is a good water - baby food ratio? Or should I just put him in the food?

Honestly I don't know how old he is. When I look at pics of Younger Russians my Toby looks much older. When I adopted him two and a half years ago the family I got him from thought he was 10-15 years old. Also, when I first got him I put some pics of him online and people commented and thought he was between 25-35 based on his shell. So I really do not know. My guess is that he is definitely not a young tort.

Sorry for my long winded update :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Sending healing thoughts to you and your tort. I hope he gets better soon.

Let us know how he is doing

Status
Not open for further replies.