please help (tortoise falls asleep under light)

TMartin510

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
I believe they nap under it all the time as they like the warmth if they get too hot they should move to the cooler side

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
What sort of tort do you have?
If you tell us more about him and post a pic of your enclosure people will be able to give you better advice about the position and height of lamps etc.
Without all that all I can do is ask - are you checking the temps under the lamp? Does he have room to move away from it?
It shouldn't be positioned so low it could burn him.
My leopard is a few years old and has plenty of space so tends to move himself to comfortable spots.
When you post more info and a pic we'll be able to see if all is well.
There are caresheets for most species which will tell you about temps and humidity etc and the Enclosures thread will give ideas.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sulcata tortoise
There's a great caresheet for sullies under Species Specific so have a read through that to make sure your temps and humidity are OK. How old is he?
The Beginners Mistakes thread is also good for avoiding the same slip ups as others.
Are you able to post a picture of his enclosure? It really will get you much better advice on how to keep your tort happy and healthy from the sully keepers. Also if you say where you are located the advice can also be better tailored to your climate.
Some golden rules I've learnt are
* no coil or loop cfl type bulbs as these can harm the torts eyes.
*red bulbs confuse torts as they can see colour
* torts need darkness to sleep so no light at night, just heat from a CHE on a thermostat.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco