Ploughshare Tortoise at Virginia Safari park

KenS

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
http://www.virginiasafaripark.com/

A buddy of mine lives right near there and was there today, he could not beleive they have a Ploughshare tortoise as well as a HUGH 14inch plus Smooth perfect growth Sri lankan Star!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So where are the pics of the torts? I couldn't find them on their site, are they there?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That is so very cool.
How did they get a ploughshare? Do zoos get to have first dibs on tortoises that are confiscated by customs?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That is so very cool.
How did they get a ploughshare? Do zoos get to have first dibs on tortoises that are confiscated by customs?

Great question! ......

and I must admit I was cracking up ...reading this first thing this morning ...... “ A Safari in Virginia” drive thru - zoo… :rolleyes:

Heck in So. Ca….we have a place like that … it’s called “Watts” .. oh yea there’s Compton too!….Just like visiting two different continents in one day!
They will even approach your car looking for “Munchie hand outs” rather if you have them or not ….
if not …. They just take the car! :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That is so very cool.

Zoos don't get first right per say. Typically there are two scenarios in which this happens. Either the local USFW port authority confiscates them from people trying to bring them into the country(which in the US is not often, or near the amount that try to get smuggled into Korea,Thailand,China Etc.) Or they received the animal from another zoo that has had it prior. Turn over on curators and directors at zoos happens a lot. Some curators and directors can show favoritism of certain species and manage their zoo with maybe CITES 1 hoof stock, polar bears, or even focus on a lot of tortoises. It just all depends.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
I am waiting for pictures as well!! If and when I get them, I WILL post them right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
N2TORTS said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That is so very cool.

Great question! ......

and I must admit I was cracking up ...reading this first thing this morning ...... “ A Safari in Virginia” drive thru - zoo… :rolleyes:

Heck in So. Ca….we have a place like that … it’s called “Watts” .. oh yea there’s Compton too!….Just like visiting two different continents in one day!
They will even approach your car looking for “Munchie hand outs” rather if you have them or not ….

This cracks me up being from so cal

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
HA HA .. Miller! ... I knew someone would understand ... although you need to view Kens post link first ..... then the comment is even more funny ... ( to some of us :D) ....

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That is so very cool.

Great question! ......

JD I work in downtown L. A. To be exact the 5 fwy at 7th street so I know what you mean. When I started this job one of my co workers told me I should carry something sharp with me at all times. I have a good time there but I also like coming home to Orange County where I can relax

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow and the I5 is jammed south bound each AM out of OC for those residents to work in safe San Diego. I have been to rainbow mealworms a few time (it's in Compton) not great, but I felt less vulnerable than when I took a wrong exit in RSA and was in a township of a million. It's all relative I guess.

Maybe that's where the secret ploughshare breeding facility is, in Compton, far away from where USF&W folks will venture hhahahahahahahha.

Will

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Still waiting...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yeah, KenS. Pictures, pictures ... we want ploughshare pictures!
Do any So Cal peeps remember Lion Country Safari and Frasier the lion?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I visited this park a few years ago and didn't see this tortoise. Wish I knew about it then.

Steve

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
turtlesteve said:
I visited this park a few years ago and didn't see this tortoise. Wish I knew about it then.

Steve

Most zoos or institutions that have ploughshares are not kept on display. Its unfortunate for visitors.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Ploughshare Tortoise at Virginia Safari park

tortadise said:
turtlesteve said:

Steve

Most zoos or institutions that have ploughshares are not kept on display. Its unfortunate for visitors.

Really?! That isn't logical. What an educational opportunity lost.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah. From an outsiders point of view it seems that way. But from the conservationist point of view(typically the director or curator) they feel to be successful in reproducing the animal instead of displaying it and getting kids tapping on the glass or throwing bottles in the enclosure. You would be surprised whats behind the scenes at zoos. Usually the best stuff.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Ploughshare Tortoise at Virginia Safari park

tortadise said:
Yeah. From an outsiders point of view it seems that way. But from the conservationist point of view(typically the director or curator) they feel to be successful in reproducing the animal instead of displaying it and getting kids tapping on the glass or throwing bottles in the enclosure. You would be surprised whats behind the scenes at zoos. Usually the best stuff.

Yes, I understand public disrespect and all. But with today's technology (web cams, etc) the animals could be displayed without exposure.