Possible Grand Opening of our facilities. Would you come?

Would you come to an open tour catered event?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
So yeah just heard back from him. And yep this May interest many folks. Looks like I could fund the entire thing myself too. Since they would allow the university for a speaking program. Would be great fun and lots of turtle talk. Maybe a TTPG joint thing could be in order for like a summer deal and then Mesa in the fall.

Here's a response from the curator.

"Hi Kelly,

Just let me know when you think you can come over and I’m sure we can make the necessary arrangements.

Our collection encompasses 90 countries and about 4,000 species.

We facilitate lots of research here and abroad with the rate of a peer reviewed publication every 7.2 days utilizing material from our collection.

I’m very proud to say that we probably have the strongest herpetology program in the country (1 full time museum manager, 5 faculty and about 20 grad students).

In 2010 we hosted a joint conference with the DFWHS and the Texas herpetological society and chelonians were the focus.

Pritchard was the keynote speaker at a pizza and beer mixer at the Dallas Zoo (included behind the scenes tour, etc)

The second day was busy with a line up of speakers, poster sessions, silent auction and bbq banquet.

Events like these can be a lot of fun and a good way to rouse enthusiasm, share information and generate some funds for non profit groups.

If this is what you’re interested in I need to suggest getting sponsors to cover ALL cost.

The DFWHS is sponsored by the biology department here at UTA so we were able to get the meeting space for free.

Pizza and beer social cost the DFWHS and THS about $900 and I think the auction raised $901.

However, this may be beyond the scope of what you had in mind. So fill me in, what are you thinking?"

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I love your idea but to go to the Mesa show I have to take a week vacation cause I work every weekend

Prairie Mom

Perhaps summer is what I was more waivering to. Spring can be cold but could be hot. Wouldn't want to risk having it scheduled on a day that ended up cool and the torts couldn't go outside for viewing,
I agree with summer. You would probably get a bigger turn out if most schools are out. That way kids could come and people won't be pulled away from Graduation and school events etc.

Sadly, we couldn't make it this year, but I would love to take my kids to a facility like yours, particularly if there was a way for them to have an "animal experience" like being able to lay down some food or pet a friendly tortoise's shell. If you have an interest in attracting families with kids, you could consider having specific hours during the day that are particularly "kid friendly," so you could have set hours for kid attractions and also give adults the chance to AVOID the really active kid crowd if that is their preference.

Some ideas for kid fun:
-Face painting --it's amazing how kids always go nuts for this
-photos with animals
-Story time with a live animal present who the children can meet and learn about
-A "Hatching station" -you could set up an area where kids can learn about how tortoises are "born" and give them an area to dig for eggs. Our local Dinosaur museum has a little station that all my kids go NUTS over and it's so silly and basic. It's only a sand box with pine chip kitty litter and buried toy dinosaur bones and molds. The kids use brushes and shovels and play archaeologist. You could consider getting easter eggs filled with a toy turtle for them to keep http://www.ezpartyzone.com/pd-turtl...rs-12-ct.cfm?gclid=CI3P1raUisICFePyMgodvVUAaA -My kids would go nuts over this.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I agree with summer. You would probably get a bigger turn out if most schools are out. That way kids could come and people won't be pulled away from Graduation and school events etc.

Sadly, we couldn't make it this year, but I would love to take my kids to a facility like yours, particularly if there was a way for them to have an "animal experience" like being able to lay down some food or pet a friendly tortoise's shell. If you have an interest in attracting families with kids, you could consider having specific hours during the day that are particularly "kid friendly," so you could have set hours for kid attractions and also give adults the chance to AVOID the really active kid crowd if that is their preference.

Some ideas for kid fun:
-Face painting --it's amazing how kids always go nuts for this
-photos with animals
-Story time with a live animal present who the children can meet and learn about
-A "Hatching station" -you could set up an area where kids can learn about how tortoises are "born" and give them an area to dig for eggs. Our local Dinosaur museum has a little station that all my kids go NUTS over and it's so silly and basic. It's only a sand box with pine chip kitty litter and buried toy dinosaur bones and molds. The kids use brushes and shovels and play archaeologist. You could consider getting easter eggs filled with a toy turtle for them to keep http://www.ezpartyzone.com/pd-turtl...rs-12-ct.cfm?gclid=CI3P1raUisICFePyMgodvVUAaA -My kids would go nuts over this.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

See I am not wee one (kids) oriented so these ideas are fantastic that I would have never thought of. For sure I want to incorporate something similar to the Mesa thing. It's a great thing that also benefits all chelonian keepers, breeders, conservationists and enthusiast. The more the merrier. I also agree maybe a kids station like on a Saturday morning while the adults are at the talks. Etc..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I may be asking for some help from some of you guys if there are some volunteers to help arrange something this large. May not be a 2015 but 2016 deal. Non the less it should be great once it happens.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yeah I may be asking for some help from some of you guys if there are some volunteers to help arrange something this large. May not be a 2015 but 2016 deal. Non the less it should be great once it happens.

Count me in! I work better, if I have a job to do. Also makes sure I am fully committed and can't back out. ;)

Turtlepete

South Florida
Wow. If a tour to the University was included, along with a line-up of speakers, I think I would get there even if I have to ride a bike! Haha. Sounds like a dream trip...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I would go! (the quiz thing doesn't work :( ) but I agree, summer trip.
The big thing here is the distance (for many people, I think!) but I would try to make the trip out. :D
Congratulations!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would love to, however, I can't get to D/FW to visit my favorite grand daughter, so I really doubt I would be able to force myself to visit your place...no matter how much I want to.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I would love to come, but it's very doubtful that I will be able to. It sounds wonderful!

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
It's only a few hours away, I'd be up for it. My 3 year old son would lose his mind, he gets all giddy with just my four redfoots.

turtlemanfla88

Kelly,
I would love to go ,but I live in FLA and it is to far. One day I will make it out there to visit.
I agree with you you should contact Russ. If you make it about turtles and tortoises they will come. LOL
I would love to see more turtle and tortoise conferences.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Same here voting error. BTW I said no, ebcause I don't think I would be able to make it, even though of course I would love to go. (take that haters). Sorry tortadise, if you got offended.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would totally go! Four hour road trip hells yeah! I would drive up a day or two before and help you setup . I have a buddy that rents bounce houses may be able to get one or two . Just need a heads up .

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What a great reason for a vacation. Travel arrangements and getting time off would be the limiting factors. So, count me as a maybe.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Having done the organizing for a few conferences, I have to say, Bless You for considering an event like this. That said, count me in.