Possible leg problem

Fowlerx2tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi this post is for my nieces tortoise which she recently got from her boyfriends sister. She had the tortoise from 9 months old. The tortoise has always hid its back legs and moved around using its arms. She has had the tortoise 3 years! I know...why hasn’t she found out what can be or could be wrong.
The set up was all wrong and I’ve advised my niece of all the care the tortoise will need. Since implementing this care the tort has started to bring its legs out. However, it doesn’t put pressure on the feet. When I asked my niece to touch the torts feet the tort didn’t retract them. When touching the arms the tort retracted. My niece feels the tort is improving each day with light, heat and soaks. I feel there’s something neurologically wrong. Any suggestions other than going to the vets? 5aa5d463-4834-4fd0-99dd-094b09e17659.jpg I wish I could upload a video to demonstrate the movement.

Fowlerx2tortoises

UK
Hi this post is for my nieces tortoise which she recently got from her boyfriends sister. She had the tortoise from 9 months old. The tortoise has always hid its back legs and moved around using its arms. She has had the tortoise 3 years! I know...why hasn’t she found out what can be or could be wrong.
The set up was all wrong and I’ve advised my niece of all the care the tortoise will need. Since implementing this care the tort has started to bring its legs out. However, it doesn’t put pressure on the feet. When I asked my niece to touch the torts feet the tort didn’t retract them. When touching the arms the tort retracted. My niece feels the tort is improving each day with light, heat and soaks. I feel there’s something neurologically wrong. Any suggestions other than going to the vets? View attachment 235324 I wish I could upload a video to demonstrate the movement.

IMG_5251.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This tortoise is in absolutely terrible condition, and I’m surprised it’s still alive. Thank you so much for rescuing it.
What species is it? I’m guessing Sulcata, so please read these-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
It has some severe pyramiding, and it sounds like it has a terrible case of metabolic bones disease.
Those links have all of the information you need, so read them very thoroughly.

Kasia

Poland
The set up was all wrong and I’ve advised my niece of all the care the tortoise will need. Since implementing this care the tort has started to bring its legs out. However, it doesn’t put pressure on the feet. When I asked my niece to touch the torts feet the tort didn’t retract them. When touching the arms the tort retracted. My niece feels the tort is improving each day with light, heat and soaks. I feel there’s something neurologically wrong. Any suggestions other than going to the vets? View attachment 235324 I wish I could upload a video to demonstrate the movement.
Please find a reputable reptile Vet in your area and take this poor creature for a general check up... including X-ray and a blood panel...its hard to tell what species is it because of the deformation. Leg problem is just a tip of the iceberg...@Yvonne @Will @Tom ??

Fowlerx2tortoises

UK
Please find a reputable reptile Vet in your area and take this poor creature for a general check up... including X-ray and a blood panel...its hard to tell what species is it because it’s SOoooo badly deformed. Leg problem is just a tip of the iceberg...

I know. Probably due to the conditions it was under for three years! I have a number for her to contact.

Kasia

Poland
This is the thread describing Bubbles rehab done by Mike.

Fowlerx2tortoises

UK
Use this to find a good vet in your area-
Tortoise Vet List
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?forums/126/
I am really not sure how it’s still living. I think this is the worst condition I’ve ever seen a tortoise in. Thank you for trying to help it.

My niece asked me for my advice and the first thing was to get the tort under the right heat, light, diet and soak. She’s feeling hopeful because the tort is changing. When she soaked the tort it pooped for the first time. I said the tort must have pooped before but maybe ate it. Apparently, the tort hasn’t pooped for over a week and she baths her everyday. The previous owner fed it fruit but apparently it’s a horsfield. I have a horsfield and it looks nothing like mine. I’m unsure of species and only going on what my niece wS told by the previous owner. So sad, it breaks my heart thinking it’s in pain or there’s something more underlying.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My niece asked me for my advice and the first thing was to get the tort under the right heat, light, diet and soak. She’s feeling hopeful because the tort is changing. When she soaked the tort it pooped for the first time. I said the tort must have pooped before but maybe ate it. Apparently, the tort hasn’t pooped for over a week and she baths her everyday. The previous owner fed it fruit but apparently it’s a horsfield. I have a horsfield and it looks nothing like mine. I’m unsure of species and only going on what my niece wS told by the previous owner. So sad, it breaks my heart thinking it’s in pain or there’s something more underlying.

It doesn’t look like a horsefield to me, but honestly, it’s so deformed I can’t tell.
I would just follow the links I gave you, because I don’t think anything in there would do harm to a horsefield. Maybe if it grows a bit, we’ll be able to tell.

Fowlerx2tortoises

UK
It doesn’t look like a horsefield to me, but honestly, it’s so deformed I can’t tell.
I would just follow the links I gave you, because I don’t think anything in there would do harm to a horsefield. Maybe if it grows a bit, we’ll be able to tell.

I will do! With her changing under the new conditions I’m trying to give my niece hope.

Kasia

Poland
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the little guy;) Good luck and give us updates on how’s it going!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the main problems are UVB and calcium. Feed calcium-rich foods and make sure to have a GOOD UVB light. Also, it is VERY dry in those pictures. I am also unable to I.D. the animal.