POSSIBLE PYRAMIDING?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hello thanks for the question. And I have only heard about this through word of mouth from My Tortoise Vet, and other Tortoise Owners. My Tortoise’s Veterinarian says he sees a lot of pyramiding from owners who feed Mazuri Tortoise diet on a regular basis and especially as a only food source. In the wild, Leopard Tortoise’s roam and eat ALOT of grass. They eat so much because grass is very low in any nutritional value so they eat a lot of it. When you own a tortoise and feed it really high nutrients everyday, the shell can grow quicker than the body and that can lead to pyramiding when the body has no where else to store all those nutrients it starts storing it in the shell. Don’t get me wrong, Mazuri is very beneficial to Tortoise’s. But from what I’ve learned from the Vet over the years is it shouldn’t be the only daily food source. I hope that was helpful :)

That’s an old myth perpetuated by vets and “experts”. Lack of humidity is the main cause of pyramiding. Here are some good links to read-
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-is-and-what-causes-pyramiding.170559/

bjscott94

Ohio
That’s an old myth perpetuated by vets and “experts”. Lack of humidity is the main cause of pyramiding. Here are some good links to read-
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-is-and-what-causes-pyramiding.170559/
Thanks for the links they are insightful! I totally agree Humidity plays a HUGE factor in pyramiding I strive to keep my tortoise enclosure around 80%. But the proper nutrition is also very important. I only mentioned Nutrition because I noticed lettuce in the post and I’m in no way a fan of feeding lettuce :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for the links they are insightful! I totally agree Humidity plays a HUGE factor in pyramiding I strive to keep my tortoise enclosure around 80%. But the proper nutrition is also very important. I only mentioned Nutrition because I noticed lettuce in the post and I’m in no way a fan of feeding lettuce :)

Nutrition is definitely important in raising a healthy tortoise, but doesn’t have much to do with pyramiding.

bjscott94

Ohio

Attachments

• 96FA1BE7-87EB-4E2F-A137-8C0F3433A3E6.png
    96FA1BE7-87EB-4E2F-A137-8C0F3433A3E6.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 27
  • C9C5463A-E78C-4ECD-81C8-093C2F2DCE33.png
    C9C5463A-E78C-4ECD-81C8-093C2F2DCE33.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 8EC35572-4BCC-49FF-8967-0427069E8395.png
    8EC35572-4BCC-49FF-8967-0427069E8395.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 0B87C4FB-84A9-4BCD-B098-7AA9746C37FA.jpeg
    0B87C4FB-84A9-4BCD-B098-7AA9746C37FA.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 34

Tseeman

Ohio
@Tom I bought Orchid bark like you said from home depot and it came with tiny tiny bugs and Nats is this normal? Also my humidity stays at 50 won't get up to 80 but I don't wanna soak to much for molding what do you guys recommend I do.

Tseeman

Ohio
Wow that's a beautiful tortiose,, amazing work I hope my Lenard grows up with a gnarly shell. What do you reccomemd for nutrition tips?

bjscott94

Ohio
Wow that's a beautiful tortiose,, amazing work I hope my Lenard grows up with a gnarly shell. What do you reccomemd for nutrition tips?
Thank you :) Mazuri Tortoise Diet, Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, vegetables like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and yams. The variety is important because greens don’t contain a lot, if any, vitamin A which is important that your tortoise takes in. Also occasional fruits are ok but keep it seldom. Some Good fruits are strawberries, apples (avoid bananas).

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you :) Mazuri Tortoise Diet, Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, vegetables like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and yams. The variety is important because greens don’t contain a lot, if any, vitamin A which is important that your tortoise takes in. Also occasional fruits are ok but keep it seldom. Some Good fruits are strawberries, apples (avoid bananas).

I would definitely stay away from broccoli and cauliflower, especially cauliflower. They’re not very good for tortoises because of their calcium/phosphorus ratio or high amount of oxalates.

Tseeman

Ohio
I would definitely stay away from broccoli and cauliflower, especially cauliflower. They’re not very good for tortoises because of their calcium/phosphorus ratio or high amount of oxalates.
The internet makes it so difficult to raise pets there's so many options,, opinions etc how do i choose who to believe when I don't kno myself

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The internet makes it so difficult to raise pets there's so many options,, opinions etc how do i choose who to believe when I don't kno myself

There are some great sources of nutritional information out there ... I use this one even though it's on a site for bearded dragons:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

In general, aim for foods with more calcium than phosphorus when feeding tortoises, although occasional transgressions are probably fine as long as they're minor.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I bought Orchid bark like you said from home depot and it came with tiny tiny bugs and Nats is this normal? Also my humidity stays at 50 won't get up to 80 but I don't wanna soak to much for molding what do you guys recommend I do.
Orchid bark should kept damp, but not wet. It won't mold. Its physical and chemical properties inhibit mold growth.

You can maintain relatively high humidity with dry substrate if you use a closed chamber. With an open top you couldn't keep humidity where you need it if the bottom of the tank was filled with water. I've tried.

I'm using bone dry Sani-Chips in my cribo enclosures and with just a big water bowl and a humid hide, humidity stays 80-85%.
IMG_7939.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what to feed a sulcata or leopard:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I would use less grass for a regular leopard tortoise, but the list in the thread is good.

Avoid sugary foods like carrots and yams. Never feed fruit. These things wreak havoc on their intestinal flora and fauna. Most vegetables from the store are not good either. You want primarily grass, weeds, leaves, succulents and flowers of the right types. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole as your staples, but supplement with grass, ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food, Mazuri and whatever else you can find.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...But the proper nutrition is also very important.

You've been taught the old wrong info.

You can feed the "wrong" foods, but grow a smooth, non-pyramided tortoise if the environment is right. This has been proven time and time again. Conversely, you can feed the best most prefect diet in the world, and if the environment is too dry, the tortoise will pyramid.

Pyramiding is not caused by food. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.