Pothos

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
She was really tiny and young so I practically held my breath for 3 days but she was perfectly fine. Now of a tort is like trying bulldoze a huge pothos to the ground in a sitting I'd worry, unless of course it was like with Freckles and absolutely nothing came of it.
I actually started a thread earlier today about how often we may assume something to be toxic because it's toxic to mammals. I just wonder if they have a better sense of what is edible vs toxic than we do.

Elohi(Earth)

i've wondered that myself i've watched my red take one bite of stuff and spit it out he hasn't even so much as tried to nibble at the fake plants which im kind of surprised because they look good and real

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipremnum_aureum

"pothos" is NOT a philodendron, sorta interesting to see The Tortoise Table has it mixed in with philodendrons. They are wrong to do that.

Pothos is an actual native food fro prehensile skinks, arboreal herbivorous lizards from the Solomon Islands. Pothos is now globally a native or invasive (non native) as long as it does not freeze. It's a safe tortoise plant. It grows in much of tropical Asia. REALLY.

I can't keep up with the tortoises that I use it for, they eat it too quickly. P, planicuada, K. spekii, and I. forstenii.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
So this would be safe for a leopard enclosure then? Freckles did snack on it after all when she was like 3 months old. :oops:

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas

"pothos" is NOT a philodendron, sorta interesting to see The Tortoise Table has it mixed in with philodendrons. They are wrong to do that.

Pothos is an actual native food fro prehensile skinks, arboreal herbivorous lizards from the Solomon Islands. Pothos is now globally a native or invasive (non native) as long as it does not freeze. It's a safe tortoise plant. It grows in much of tropical Asia. REALLY.

I can't keep up with the tortoises that I use it for, they eat it too quickly. P, planicuada, K. spekii, and I. forstenii.

Elohi(Earth)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I wholeheartedly agree with Will. Also, my reds seem to love pothos so much that they've eaten a whole plant down to the ground (in the course of a few months) with no ill effects.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

Thanks that puts me at easy seeing people who use them no problems i think my tort will love the natural cover

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm sorry, but I laughed! That is a pothos plant. No, I have heard it isn't good... Too bad too, because I can actually successfully grow one :p:(View attachment 90694

How isn't it good? Like @Will stated above, pothos is actually a tort-safe plant. Keep successfully growing them because they can get eaten too quickly :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How isn't it good? Like @Will stated above, pothos is actually a tort-safe plant. Keep successfully growing them because they can get eaten too quickly :p
I have heard the toxicity level is very high, and isn't good for consumption (like cats, for example) One time one of the cats ate some of the pothos on the table, and she was sick afterward (vomit mostly :confused: ) so I have never tried to giving it to the tortoises, afraid it might make them sick!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would love to to put Pothos in my indoor enclosures for my Russian and Boxturtle because it grows so easily, even for somebody like me who does not have a green thumb. But all the conflicting information is confusing. Do people have experience with it with Russians and box turtles specifically? It would make a good plants to hide under is what I'm thinking but I don't know if my Russian would eat it.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I kept pothos in with my ornate boxie. He never touched it. I'm not convinced it's all that toxic though after my leopard snacking on it when she was teeny tiny and there being no negative effects.

KnNTiny

Yes I would like to know as well. They are truly easy plants to find and grow.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i have potho's in my redfoot right now and i can tell you they don't seem harmful to torts as stated in other threads what's harmful to dogs and cats may not be to torts in the wild red foots consume toxic mushrooms, i've read stories of red foots eating toxic mushrooms then having a accident with the dog or other animal and the animal getting the torts blood in it's mouth died because apparently the tort had a toxin's in his system from the mushrooms

i'm not saying go fed your tort poisonous mushrooms or poisonous anything i'm just saying i don't think potho's hurt, and this is just for red foot's we are talking about every species is different and has different needs what's ok for some might not be right for others.