Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've always worried about fire too. I don't have to worry about over loaded circuits though, thank goodness. I have a fairly new breaker box because of the solar panels on the roof, and each tortoise house and green house are on their own circuit! Another of my worries is big branches falling in the wind. I've had most of the close-by trees cut down for that reason. Now I only have a very large pepper tree left that a bit of a danger. Its right behind my barn. I'm having it cut down a bit at a time. Its very costly to do the whole tree at once.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was so happy, when Jeff replaced our old fuse type circuit box. We use to have to be careful in the winter to not have a heater on in the living room, when we used the microwave in the kitchen. Or what was it, if the VCR/TV was playing in the front room, we could either have the computer on or lights upstairs.

How much do they charge there? Here I think I was told $200 a tree. I have a line of six pine trees, which have died from the disease they get. :( They are in and under the telephone lines, so my ex doesn't want to help cut them down. First I am going to see if the phone company will, because they could easily take down their lines. I keep putting it off, because this pair of mourning doves still like to use the trees.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a very old pepper tree. Its about 3' diameter (diameter equals the straight across distance, right?) at about chest high. And its about 60' tall. The trouble being it is right over my metal building. If you know about metal buildings, they don't support any weight. There is no access to the base of the tree because it stands in my box turtle pen. I've been given estimates anywhere from $1500 to $2500 and that's because they'd have to use a bucket truck. So I have friends of friends come over and shinney up the tree, tying off bits and pieces here and there and cutting them off. So far one big limb is gone, and two more to go.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
We had a hollowed out old spruce taken down 2 years ago and it was $1,800. The highest quote we got was $2,500. The brought a bucket truck up onto our front lawn and really destroyed it and it took us forever to get grass to grow there.

How is your hand feeling Jacqui?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Ouch, Jacqui, burns take awhile to feel better :(

Another funny Bonbon story (sorry, that's the name of the poodle mutt, came with her): we decided to go for a walk, and my husband tried to put on her 'windbreaker'. I guess she thought she was in a straight jacket, because once it was on, she stood there like she had been turned to stone; one foot forward, one back. As we laughed hysterically and called for her to 'come on' , she never moved a muscle, for several minutes.
Finally took it off and off she went.
What a funny girl.

And I thought curry (cumin) was good for the brain?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mornin'!!!!

David, did you get the family picture taken?

What is everybody up to today??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes the picture was a success, we shot it in rancho cucamongo, at a park. there was a nice pond there and of course when ever there is a body of water in california it had red ear sliders dumped in it.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
...it always comes back to the turtles & tortoises lol.

Anyway, I'm at work, hanging out with a young Havanese and an old nearly blind Cocker. The havanese was kept in a crate for years so whenever she gets excited her brain just tells her to spin in circles. As she's walking down the hall she'll just spin around once, pick up a toy, spin around and walk back with it. Lol its kind of cute/funny but sad. But its not too obsessive, to the point that it would be really sad and noticeable.

And I didn't get any of the schoolwork done last night that I was supposed to so after work today its back to the computer lab at school! Ugh

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pdrobber said:
...it always comes back to the turtles & tortoises lol.

Anyway, I'm at work, hanging out with a young Havanese and an old nearly blind Cocker. The havanese was kept in a crate for years so whenever she gets excited her brain just tells her to spin in circles. As she's walking down the hall she'll just spin around once, pick up a toy, spin around and walk back with it. Lol its kind of cute/funny but sad. But its not too obsessive, to the point that it would be really sad and noticeable.

And I didn't get any of the schoolwork done last night that I was supposed to so after work today its back to the computer lab at school! Ugh

I have never gotten to be around a Havanese. In a way I envy you, but then I start remembering all the sad and bad things that go along with it.

dmmj said:
Yes the picture was a success, we shot it in rancho cucamongo, at a park. there was a nice pond there and of course when ever there is a body of water in california it had red ear sliders dumped in it.

So glad the picture finally happened. I bet she will love it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Jacqui said:
Mornin'!!!!

David, did you get the family picture taken?

What is everybody up to today??

Good morning!
Nice little fire going in the fireplace (fortunately), nice cup of coffee.
Might try to put up some Xmas lights on the house? (might be too ambitious).
What are you up to?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
lynnedit said:
Good morning!
Nice little fire going in the fireplace (fortunately), nice cup of coffee.
Might try to put up some Xmas lights on the house? (might be too ambitious).
What are you up to?

I always thought it would be neat to have a fireplace to curl up to next to. :)

I have a ton of work inside the house I should do or be nice and work on covering two windows to help keep the outside cats warmer... but just am lacking the energy. :D Right now I am using the excuse I am warming up my toes from walking the dogs. Getting down to where I am going to have to hunt up some socks to put on when I go out in my crocs. :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Awww Peter the crated dog story makes me sad:(.

My day was 7am hockey followed by breakfast with Santa fundraiser at my daughters Elementary School. We are home watching Christmas movies with the kids. We have aspirations of setting up our Santa's village. I need to go to the store for the coming week and then at 5pm we have to go to our town's Christmas tree lighting where my eldest is singing in the chorus.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:

My day was 7am hockey followed by breakfast with Santa fundraiser at my daughters Elementary School. We are home watching Christmas movies with the kids. We have aspirations of setting up our Santa's village. I need to go to the store for the coming week and then at 5pm we have to go to our town's Christmas tree lighting where my eldest is singing in the chorus.

Sounds like a full day and very seasonal! :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Sounds like a full day and very seasonal! :D

Sadly I am sitting on the couch on TFO exhausted when I should be cleaning getting the decorations out. Ugh, I am going! See you great people later:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This forum, and all of you interesting people, are going to be my un-doing. I used to get up, get dressed and go outside...not going back into the house until lunch time. Now I get up, get dressed and park in front of the computer until about 11a, when guilt about my tortoises still sitting in the dark makes me turn it off and go outside.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Sadly I am sitting on the couch on TFO exhausted when I should be cleaning getting the decorations out. Ugh, I am going! See you great people later:)

What kind of decorations?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I can't taste the tuna because of all the celery and onions I put into the tuna, does that mean I should use less of them next time? :rolleyes::D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!!! Depends upon how well you like celery and onions!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
LOL!!! Depends upon how well you like celery and onions!!!

True! However I sorta like the idea of tasting tuna when I bite into tuna salad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.