Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not me, man! I loved my own kids, but really have a hard time abiding anyone else's.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yvonne, shoes on your horse? Is the ground frozen in your parts? Checked foot for abscess?

Frog picked and clean?

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
Apparently it was a fire riser water main that broke, shot water up to 40 ft high and instantaneously froze what ever it came down on. Wild times in N.Ut. Traffic will be a mess downtown, I will be avoiding it.

My significant other and I dated for over a year and then lived together for almost five years before we got married. Two and a half years later, we had our only child. He had colic and cried for the first six months of his life and then it stopped completely. He became a very delightful child, and then he became a teenager.......thankfully we all lived through that. He is now married to a wonderful young women, since last June, no babies yet but I think they are thinking on it. They lived together for two years before they got married so I guess you could say they have waited. Sheesh, I know Charlie and I did. Actually the doctor told me to consider him a gift and not to expect anymore. It would have nice to have had two but I know I will have grand kids someday, and I will be a very bad grandparent that spoils them rotten and then sends them home. ;)

Oh Yvonne, I so hope you don't have to put her down but if you do, I hope it will be easy on her and she goes peacefully. Losing an animal unexpectedly is bad enough but when it is an anticipated loss the pain seems to sting a little deeper. My thoughts go out to you and yours respectfully.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne fingers crossed that she will once again turn around and be okay.

As for kids, I think it is wise to wait atleast a year or two after the marriage to have a child. Living together is not the same deal as being married. I think because of that, you need those years to get the marriage strong and steady before rushing the kid section of it.

I really don't like babies (diapers, crying, burping, ect). Young children are okay. What I love the most about having had children is getting this time with them now. Getting to see how they have turned out and having them as more friends but yet my kids. Does that make sense? I regret having had children during the years of working all the time and not having real time to spend with them. I know I would be a much better mother now, then I was then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Yvonne, shoes on your horse? Is the ground frozen in your parts? Checked foot for abscess?

Frog picked and clean?

No shoes. I think its probably an abscess, however I don't see anything. When it first started I started her on Bute and that helped enough that she was able to at least walk, however, now the bute isn't working anymore. I called and left a message for the vet to call me back. Naturally, its the week-end. Why didn't I call yesterday?

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
I think you are friends until they turn eleven and then not again until they are over twenty. LOL :)

At a total of over six years, I think Charlie and I were pretty steady, ;) and I am hoping they will wait until she is out of school, that won't be until next year. Her family is saying, "hurry it up" and Charlie and I are saying, "take your time".

Okay, I have to ask, "what's a frog"? I work in ag research and I have never heard our vet say anything about frogs.....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
Yvonne fingers crossed that she will once again turn around and be okay.

As for kids, I think it is wise to wait atleast a year or two after the marriage to have a child. Living together is not the same deal as being married. I think because of that, you need those years to get the marriage strong and steady before rushing the kid section of it.

I really don't like babies (diapers, crying, burping, ect). Young children are okay. What I love the most about having had children is getting this time with them now. Getting to see how they have turned out and having them as more friends but yet my kids. Does that make sense? I regret having had children during the years of working all the time and not having real time to spend with them. I know I would be a much better mother now, then I was then.

I understand and think it will be worth all the stress, sleepless nights and taxi-ing to sports & extra curricular activities to be where you are. It's funny because I always wonder if staying home and not working is a bad example but then again my choice does not have to be their choice.

I have a tort itch! I really want a star! They are soooo beautiful!!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
CtTortoiseMom said:
Awww, Cherylim & Yellow Turtle, I had my first at 18 and my last at 29. I never make my oldest child do anything terrible like change diapers or anything because I want her to want to be a parent and not have her harbor any resentment towards her younger siblings. I love being a mother it's all I have ever done as an adult and all I ever want to do. Rob is snipped so no more babies for us and it gives me anxiety to think about not having a baby at home:(. My plan is to get Dagny trained as a therapy dog and go to the children's hospital a couple times a week.

I hope your very says your horse just needs a cortisone shot.
My mom had me at 15 going on 16. She was married at 15 and the youngest of her sisters to get married but the old maid of my aunts was 17. My dad died while she was pregnant and she didn't remarry until I was 14. She was done at that point. We lived with my grandparents a lot but my mom actually did good job. My grandpa acted as good father figure too. My mom raised me with a strong belief that you must be able to support yourself because even if you marry the nicest boy he could die. My grandpa instilled in me the belief that I should get the heck out of the town I was raised in and live a better life.
I always have to give my mom props because I was the first in my family to go to college and I think I have gone farther than they ever imagined. I think they meant something like very a trade and get married at 19. My grandma disowned me when I packed up my car and took off to college at 17 and wouldn't see me until I was in my mid 20s.
I think between that and raising my cousin I waited maybe more than I needed too

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
emysemys said:
Not me, man! I loved my own kids, but really have a hard time abiding anyone else's.

I loved my own kids, too. My daughter as a teenager was an amazing and completely delightful person, with none of the troubles other relate. She's grown and still my favorite person to visit with. Now I love other people's kids. At 3:00 they all go home, and at 7:30 the next day they come again with an entirely new set of amazing experiences to relate. First graders are so much fun!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too, stayed home to raise my son. I wish I had worked. I feel he would appreciate the things I do for him more and we both would appreciate the time we have together more. However, I was raised in a very different city, then I live and am raising my son in. I had no family of my own here and new very few people. I couldn't stand the thought of something happening to him if I had picked the wrong person to care for him while I worked. As he gets older though, he is appreciating more. I also believe one should wait. My hubby and I lived together for two years, then were married for two, before we had our son. However we were good friends before that for 12 years.

ijmccollum said:
I think you are friends until they turn eleven and then not again until they are over twenty. LOL :)

At a total of over six years, I think Charlie and I were pretty steady, ;) and I am hoping they will wait until she is out of school, that won't be until next year. Her family is saying, "hurry it up" and Charlie and I are saying, "take your time".

Okay, I have to ask, "what's a frog"? I work in ag research and I have never heard our vet say anything about frogs.....

The frog is the v shaped part of the back bottom, underneath of a horses foot. I hope I explained that right:D

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
Got it, it is adjacent to the central groove. Thanks.

Now out to lunch with hubbie and then on to errands while trying to avoid downtown.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ijmccollum said:
Got it, it is adjacent to the central groove. Thanks.

Now out to lunch with hubbie and then on to errands while trying to avoid downtown.

So where is this romantic lunch taking place?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
CtTortoiseMom said:
Awww, Cherylim & Yellow Turtle, I had my first at 18 and my last at 29. I never make my oldest child do anything terrible like change diapers or anything because I want her to want to be a parent and not have her harbor any resentment towards her younger siblings. I love being a mother it's all I have ever done as an adult and all I ever want to do. Rob is snipped so no more babies for us and it gives me anxiety to think about not having a baby at home:(. My plan is to get Dagny trained as a therapy dog and go to the children's hospital a couple times a week.

I get your point. It might work that way too. I believe most important think is to communicate with her. I've seen my small niece helping her moms to do baby sitting, and she seems happy to share the work load. I guess, even a child has his/her own opinion :)

I like children very much, even spare time to play with them. But I kinda agree with Yvonne, to interact with your own brings more satisfaction to your heart.

Wife calling lol. It's 1:16 am here, time to sleep. See you around people :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Jacqui said:
So where is this romantic lunch taking place?

Yes it sounds fun.
We just left the organic fruit and veggie market. apparently the supplier had some growing issue so the prices were crazy! The selection was terrible and it was like the world was ending. People were running around snatching up what was left. I got enough for the week but the tortoises only got green leaf lettuce, mustard greens, and escarole

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yesterday morning, Jeff and I ate breakfast out at the local park/lake. We had a blast watching the two squirrels fighting over a tree. Since we had been at the lake (actually three ponds in a row) a few days before, a lot of Canadian geese had showed up. Looks like they are moving again even though it's not the normal month they do.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Jacqui said:
Yesterday morning, Jeff and I ate breakfast out at the local park/lake. We had a blast watching the two squirrels fighting over a tree. Since we had been at the lake (actually three ponds in a row) a few days before, a lot of Canadian geese had showed up. Looks like they are moving again even though it's not the normal month they do.

That sounds wonderful. My husband loves geese. All of the geese here are gone.

I just looked and we are supposed to get tons of snow this week up north Michigan. We have an event next weekend called snofari and i am ago excited.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Looong day! I'm exhausted. Got up early, and because the snow was melting my friend decided we should go to Preston to shop for bridesmaids dresses anyway, just the two of us with my goddaughter. We started with a pub lunch then went in to town. It was nice to get out and have a look around, but we didn't see ANYTHING in the right colour.

Then, Ian and I went shopping at the craft store in Preston. I've wanted to do something 'crafty' all my life, but I'm useless with my hands and I've never found something. That book I read suggested crafts would be good for me, so I went to look again. I'm home now with a soap making kit and a candle making kit. I'm going to see if I like them, choose which one I like most and turn it into a long-term hobby. Exciting!

Might even see, once I've used the supplies in the kit, if I can start experimenting with new scents and open an Etsy shop. :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Thought the idea was fun and relaxation, not another business to keep up with the demands of. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.