PROBLEM WITH TICKS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was wondering do we have to worry about ticks getting on our torts? Can they bite their tough skin? I don't have the problem in my immediate area that I know of. However, we do several weekends in Northern Michigan, woody area and will sometimes be taking Tatum with us. I check my dog for them, do I have to check Tatum also? Any facts or thoughts out there.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have actually pulled ticks off a couple tortoises that were rescues ... I don't have a problem with them here, but if my cats or dogs had them, I would definitely check my tortoises as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, ticks can get attached to a tortoise. I don't know if our U.S. ticks would be interested, but ticks are the reason one needs a slip from the vet in order to bring an african tortoise across state lines. The African deer tick spreads disease through our U.S. hoof stock.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Years ago I got some newly imported tortoises that had several ticks on them. That's the last time I've ever seen a tick on a tortoise and I live in an area where ticks are very common. We always end up with a few on our dogs every summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks everyone. I won't worry about him getting them, but will do a quick check before we leave the woods

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have found one tick on a tortoise, I believe it was three years ago. This animal had never been outside and had been in my group for like 15 years at that point. I have not saw this for myself, but have read several reports of box turtles found with many ticks on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.