Progress on new enclosure, almost there!

Leo Mota

Location (City and/or State)
California
Substrate and carpet down, heating/lighting, and tortoise to go!

I've spent the last week planning, ordering, and putting together supplies for my tortoise's new table. It's starting to come together and I'm just waiting on the new lights to arrive, as well as the paint fumes from my new place to go away. Once it's safe I'll move him in, and I'm sure he'll be pleased with all the new wiggle room.

I've attached pictures of the progress as well as the original, future, and dream plans that I've come up with. It might take a few more years, but I'll get there. :)

Attachments

• 20200622_194108.jpg
    20200622_194108.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200622_194200.jpg
    20200622_194200.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200622_194318.jpg
    20200622_194318.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200622_194258.jpg
    20200622_194258.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 25

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Using only the clamp on your light is very dangerous. Quite a few of those clamps have failed, the lamp falls into the substrate, and the house burns down.

Find a way to ensure that this doesn't happen to you.

Leo Mota

California
Normally I would have a screen on top but I'm still waiting on the new fixtures and bulbs to come in so I'm just using the old stuff for testing. If the mount doesnt end up working I'll probably use a wall mount and add a screen, at the very least to the area around the light fixtures

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Normally I would have a screen on top but I'm still waiting on the new fixtures and bulbs to come in so I'm just using the old stuff for testing. If the mount doesnt end up working I'll probably use a wall mount and add a screen, at the very least to the area around the light fixtures
Use some 2x4s and make an overhead beam to hang your lamps from. This will also allow you to adjust the height to get the correct basking temperature under the heat lamp. Just screw an upright to either side or either end, and then connect them with an overhead beam. Three pieces. Super easy.

You should also ditch the carpet. Too easy for the fibers to wrap around a leg and cut off circulation.

That water bowl is totally unsuitable for a rigid shelled animal. Get a terra cotta plant saucer and sink it into the substrate. If your Russian is an adult, I'd get the 10" saucer. And then get another one for food.

Leo Mota

California
You should also ditch the carpet. Too easy for the fibers to wrap around a leg and cut off circulation
I've used carpet to keep substrate out of the feeding area. Are there any good ways of doing this another way?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've used carpet to keep substrate out of the feeding area. Are there any good ways of doing this another way?
Move the water dish away from the sides where they tend to walk the most. Other than that, I just change the water as needed.