Prolapsed Penis

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have a small tort, 4 lbs. he spends his days outside and his nights in the house. So I hold him at least twice a day, and while carrying him I rub and talk to him, point being I see all of him daily. So I bring him in, he's fine. Later I go in to turn off his basking light, his whole penis is out, camera batteries dead, he is urinating clear fluid.. This morning, his penis is mostly in, there's a golf ball sized thing hanging out his cloaca. Oh crap, so I soak him, and after abt 20 minutes I try to gentle push it back in. Just now it went in, but the tort is not acting like himself at all. He's in his shell w/closed eyes. Oh my, I think he's dying

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How old is he? maybe just coming into his own?
He's between 15 and 20. wow, I had forgotten that, he's always been a quiet easy keeper but for maybe the past 6 months he's been eating more and being really noisy in his tort table. Yes, he soaked for about an hour, I think he's dying.
It went back in and came out some. He's refusing food even tho this is when he usually eats. Right now stuff is in...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise has a stone we don't usually know about it until the stone is big enough to cause problems. I hope that's not what it is, but if it's large enough, it's painful and he would be acting like your tortoise is acting.

I wish you had a decent tortoise vet there, with enough $$$ to be able to take your tort in.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a small tort, 4 lbs. he spends his days outside and his nights in the house. So I hold him at least twice a day, and while carrying him I rub and talk to him, point being I see all of him daily. So I bring him in, he's fine. Later I go in to turn off his basking light, his whole penis is out, camera batteries dead, he is urinating clear fluid.. This morning, his penis is mostly in, there's a golf ball sized thing hanging out his cloaca. Oh crap, so I soak him, and after abt 20 minutes I try to gentle push it back in. Just now it went in, but the tort is not acting like himself at all. He's in his shell w/closed eyes. Oh my, I think he's dying
@maggie3fan
You could try a sugar compress. All you need to do is make up a paste of regular white sugar and water then apply it to the exposed penis. You can wrap it in a wash cloth or towel to help hold it in position. After about 30-45 minutes, the sugar should cause the penis to get smaller and then you can rinse it and gently push it back inside. Once inside, push the tail to one side, cover it with some gauze or cloth and then use some duct tape or other tape to tape the fabric over the tail area and hold the tail to the side. This way, the penis will not keep coming back out. IE, push the tail to one side, cover it with a wad of cloth so the duct tape doesn't contact the skin or the scales of the tail area and then tape the cloth wadding in position for 12-24 hours by taping over the cloth to hold everything in position. You want the tape to stick to the plastron and the carapace, not to the tail or the legs.. Hope I described that well enough to be understandable.

I have learned to do this from experience. Sometimes after tortoises are anesthetized for surgical procedures, their penises just evert when they are coming out of the anesthesia and don't retract. If the organ hangs out too long, it can become infected and need to be amputated (not good for animals in a breeding program!). Hence, I would do what I just described above and it worked well for me.

Of course, if the tortoise really is near death, this isn't going to cure whatever else is ailing him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
When a tortoise has a stone we don't usually know about it until the stone is big enough to cause problems. I hope that's not what it is, but if it's large enough, it's painful and he would be acting like your tortoise is acting.

I wish you had a decent tortoise vet there, with enough $$$ to be able to take your tort in.
Julianne still works in Corvallis. So I could take him to her. But, I'm trying not to say this but I think he dying. I got his penis in a few hours ago. He ate about 1/4 of his food and he's sleeping in the food. He normally sleeps in his hide,
Just send ur sis the bill. Haha
Yeah, but she doesn't even answer the phone.......lol

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Julianne still works in Corvallis. So I could take him to her. But, I'm trying not to say this but I think he dying. I got his penis in a few hours ago. He ate about 1/4 of his food and he's sleeping in the food. He normally sleeps in his hide,

Yeah, but she doesn't even answer the phone.......lol
I know! Ive been trying to call all night

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I hope your tortoise will be OK. I’m sorry to hear that you’re having all these problems and I hope everything turns out all right.