Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
We are so sorry. You have been so kind to me and my daughter, so thoughtful! We are praying for you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry for you loss, Mags. bigger hug than Chubbs gave
He is cheap with hugs for sure the jerk

OK...ya'll know I'm no tortoise expert. I f'ing hate to admit this, but the tortoise is still alive. He has no reaction when I pull on a leg, no reaction when I touched his closed eye...but he walked to a corner. I don't quite know what to do. I believe in my heart that he is close to death. Should I euthanize him? Should I do something to try and save him?
All rhetorical questions

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Maggie, if he pulls through this, it wouldn't be the first time an ill tortoise completely surprised a seasoned keeper. Ask @ZEROPILOT.

Thinking the best possible thoughts.
Maggie followed my Queen Bertha saga from the surgery....to her death....and her mysterious resurrection.
Keep the enclosure warm and dark and let nature do what nature does.
Hopefully we'll all be celebrating soon.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I think he is in a lot of pain, he must have had a large stone that wouldn't pass, That's what caused the prolapse, meaning the stone is still there...
Would you be comfortable in trying to palpate in the general area of the bladder by putting your fingers in front of the hind legs and pushing inwards and then back towards the cloaca to see if you can palpate a stone? If you can actually palpate one then you know you’re dealing with the stone and there’s no way to break up the stone with lithotripsy in a tortoise-it has to be surgically removed. If you aren’t palpating any stones you may not have one or it may be too small to reach. I’ve only been able to palpate a stone in the desert tortoise once but it was pretty obvious when I did it and I had thought it was an egg bound female when it turned out to be a bladder stone. She had surgery to remove it but she did fine. It took about 3 weeks before she started acting normal.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Would you be comfortable in trying to palpate in the general area of the bladder by putting your fingers in front of the hind legs and pushing inwards and then back towards the cloaca to see if you can palpate a stone? If you can actually palpate one then you know you’re dealing with the stone and there’s no way to break up the stone with lithotripsy in a tortoise-it has to be surgically removed. If you aren’t palpating any stones you may not have one or it may be too small to reach. I’ve only been able to palpate a stone in the desert tortoise once but it was pretty obvious when I did it and I had thought it was an egg bound female when it turned out to be a bladder stone. She had surgery to remove it but she did fine. It took about 3 weeks before she started acting normal.
I am well familiar with stones. Yes, I have already palpated AB but I felt nothing. This is a stone that came out of my 100+ lb Sulcata. He was dead after the Vet stopped messing with him, thanks for the advice tho
100_1465.JPG