Protein

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
What does everyone think about mice as a protein source?

I have snakes and occasionally I have a non-eater and therefore an extra, thawed rodent, and I've tossed it to my Redfoots.

Any issues with that, other than it being a little gross??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So are the mice dead?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Ewww! So gross, I fed it to mine once. They crunched and pulled. Too much for me. I will say they loved it.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Yes, killed, frozen and thawed. I have a few snakes that eat them, sometimes the snake isn't hungry and I can't reuse them after they're thawed.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
My wife has to leave the house if they eat them...much worse than watching snakes eat.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
There is a YouTube video of a redfoot eating a mouse. I was surfing through the redfoot youtubes a while back and stumbled upon it. Gross.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
There is a YouTube video of a redfoot eating a mouse. I was surfing through the redfoot youtubes a while back and stumbled upon it. Gross.

i just watched that video wow. it seems like something you'd wanna feed outside. and watch your fingers if you use pinky's they might get confused lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a rat trap near a pen that housed a breeding pair..The trap caught a rat and fell into the pen upside down.
In the morning there was only the head and shoulder that the wood protected. Guts/etc all over the torts. I've never looked at them the same.

George red foot

5 Year Member
I want to give my red foot a mouse. What size would people recommend for a 9inch red foot? Would you stick to pinkies?

Goldberry

I feed my three red foots small mice and pinkies. Get them from the freezer at pet smart. Let one thaw for them. The torts love to team up and tug of war with the fuzzy animal and rip it to pieces. It is quite a site I must say.

Goldberry

You could prob go with medium size mice also I just got small ones to be safer

George red foot

5 Year Member
I've bought a small mouse for my red foot, I'm not sure if I will like to watch it though!