Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of the pumpkins had turned orange, so I harvested them this a.m. There are 20 or 30 of them. The tortoises are going to get mighty sick of pumpkin before summer is over!

100_0822.jpg

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow Yvonne, that is a lot of pumpkins :D Your torts are going to be very happy about it :D

M

Maggie Cummings

That is a heck of a harvest. I have been begging my pumpkin plants to grow and they have just now gotten their first flower. I mostly grow the vines because Bob loves the flowers...I would have loved a harvest like yours.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
MY first love will always be reptiles(tortoises esp) but I can appreciate the beauty of a horse also, gratz on the pumpkin harvest, I have tried many many times to grow pumpkins myself, but I think I am not doing it right. If one did not know any better that one poor horse looks like it has been starved the past couple of months but maybe horses are like people , some can't put on weight no matter how hard they try?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
MY first love will always be reptiles(tortoises esp) but I can appreciate the beauty of a horse also, gratz on the pumpkin harvest, I have tried many many times to grow pumpkins myself, but I think I am not doing it right. If one did not know any better that one poor horse looks like it has been starved the past couple of months but maybe horses are like people , some can't put on weight no matter how hard they try?

Basically, she IS starved. But its self-starvation. She just won't eat! I have tried offering her everything the feed store sells for horses, but she'll eat just enough to stay alive. I've been giving her a medication prescribed by the vet for ulcers (just a guess on his part), and she is eating a little more...but still not enough to put on weight.

The pumpkin vine was a volunteer in my manure pile. I never fed the horses pumpkin, so maybe a bird dropped a seed in there. However it got there, it was VERY healthy and grew BIG! I don't know why the pumpkins didn't grow big though. Most of them are only the size of a basketball.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that they mostly have one pumpkin to a vine so you had too many on your vines and that's why they didn't grow big. That is more then one vine tho

Status
Not open for further replies.