Pyramid

grantb22

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Does it look like my baby is starting to pyramid, I’m getting a bit worried. Has great humidity and temp. I feed him hibiscus, dandelion, turnip greens and mixed greens.

Thank you

IMG_1531157566.958903.jpgIMG_1531157566.958903.jpg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Yes, it looks that way to me. What is the humidity level in the habitat? Can you post pictures of your habitat so maybe we can suggest some workable options?

grantb22

Alberta, Canada
Yes, it looks that way to me. What is the humidity level in the habitat? Can you post pictures of your habitat so maybe we can suggest some workable options?

Humidity is 70-90
I have been taking him outside lately where the humidity is only 55%
Should I soak him more often?

IMG_1531158352.045298.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's the enclosure. Just recently it has come too my attention that a closed chamber like your using and I also am using one similar is part of the problem along with using a mvb bulb and even the Che's although they are not as bad as the mvb. A "true" closed chamber is one that is made to be closed with doors on it. Not our rigged up ones.
If you are using a mercury vapor bulb, replace it with a flourescent uvb and use a regular light bulb for basking if one is needed. Also try closing up any gaps that the humidity can escape thru and that the dry air from outside the enclosure can't get in. Try to up the humidity if you can to be 80 and not lower.
When you take him out, use some warm water to spray over the grass area you are putting him. It will help to raise the humidity for a bit.
It's not bad the pyramiding that has started and with high humidity it probably won't get much worse if at all.

grantb22

Alberta, Canada
It's the enclosure. Just recently it has come too my attention that a closed chamber like your using and I also am using one similar is part of the problem along with using a mvb bulb and even the Che's although they are not as bad as the mvb. A "true" closed chamber is one that is made to be closed with doors on it. Not our rigged up ones.
If you are using a mercury vapor bulb, replace it with a flourescent uvb and use a regular light bulb for basking if one is needed. Also try closing up any gaps that the humidity can escape thru and that the dry air from outside the enclosure can't get in. Try to up the humidity if you can to be 80 and not lower.
When you take him out, use some warm water to spray over the grass area you are putting him. It will help to raise the humidity for a bit.
It's not bad the pyramiding that has started and with high humidity it probably won't get much worse if at all.

Do you think I should be good if I cover up the all the opening and just have a small opening for air flow? Should I soak him more than 2-3x per week?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't need an opening for air flow. Each time you open it to feed, give water, take him out to soak, etc, is enough air flow.
More soaking won't hurt.
Just be sure he doesn't live on wet substrate. RF are prone to shell rot. So you want a high humidity but a dry top layer of substrate so he doesn't get rot.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
Im not an expert but that looks like old growth to me, the new growth does not look like pyrimding at all. We have 3 Torts now and the first one we had started to pyramid. After we got the second two we increased humidity and the two newer guys are nice and smooth. I personally think you are ok but maybe a pro will chime in about the new growth.