Pyramiding Experiment

Morlas Mama

Location (City and/or State)
NW Indiana
I have been reading through the forums about pyramiding; the basic do's and don't and the overall debate on causes.

Working in academics, I go immediately in search of scholarly articles and research relating to this topic. I wanted to share an article, very specific to the "Influence of environmental humidity and dietary protein on pyramidal growth of carapaces in African spurred tortoises (Geochelone sulcata)" I had access to.

I read an interesting thread from a few years ago written by @Tom beginning an experiment similar to this one. I hope @Tom will find this experiment helpful and offer his expertise about this subject as will other TFO members.

The experiment was conducted at the Institute of Nutrition, University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna, Austria. I hope I attached the file correctly so everyone can read and share their thoughts. Also, I have access to scholarly libraries around the world. If anyone is interested in something specific that is not easily found using the Internet, I will be more than happy to search through my academic resources for you.

Attachments

• Influence of environmental humidity and dietary protein on pyramidal growth.pdf
    186.9 KB · Views: 38

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
MM

Thanks for the article, pretty clearly confirms that sulcatas require high humidity conditions to prevent pyramiding. As the article summarizes,
  • in order to keep the development of PGS (pyramiding growth syndrome) to a minimum, areas with a relative humidity of nearly 100% for hiding should be provided to the tortoises at all times.

Prairie Mom

MM

Thanks for the article, pretty clearly confirms that sulcatas require high humidity conditions to prevent pyramiding. As the article summarizes,
  • in order to keep the development of PGS (pyramiding growth syndrome) to a minimum, areas with a relative humidity of nearly 100% for hiding should be provided to the tortoises at all times.
100% in the hide!?!?...Man, I have work to do! -The things we do for love, right?:)

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
Nearly 100%. At 100% you'd have rain.
My habitat stays at 99-100% near the hides. There is a build up of moisture on the tank walls. I thought I saw a little rain cloud forming but it went away ;)

Seriously though, if you think about how they burrow into the wild, their entire shells are surrounded if not covered in damp ground. Born in the rainy season, probably VERY damp ground.
image.jpg image.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What a great article! Really informing and it proves sulcata's NEED humidity!
Thank you! :D