Pyramiding Health Complications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Since I'm already depressed anyway, I decided this would be a good time for "give me the bad news first".:rolleyes:

I was reading this thread, http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10979.html,
and I was wondering, what exactly should I expect as far as health issues, with a pyramided tortoise?

I know about the "reduced life expectancy", which is sad enough, but reduced by how much? What other signs and symptoms will accompany Taco's pyramided condition? Will they be mild or severe? Will these issues occur sooner or later?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are several types of shell deformity, and not all affect the health in a long-term way.

'Simple pyramiding', that is, raised scutes with no deformity of the basic shell shape, is considered to be mostly cosmetic with no real health issues. There might be some secondary issues due to whatever CAUSED the pyramiding- that is, if it was because of dehydration, then you need to deal with the dehydration issues.

The BAD pyramiding is when the shell is mis-shaped as well- usually flattened, or even a bit 'fallen in'. This is pyramiding PLUS something like soft shell and more, It is more debilitating- often the entire skeleton is involved, and the internal organs are impacted. With good cares and medical intervention, they can often survive but it depends on a lot of variables.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was always told it was the severity of pyramiding, depends on the type of health isues you can expect. Don't qoute me on this but as far as I know it usually leads to a shorter lifespan because of organ trouble. In sulc cases I believe it is usually lung problems, Like i Said it usually depends on the type of pyramiding done.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I should have phrased my post better. Is there anything in a tortoise's normal daily routine that will be impacted if they have pyramiding? So for example, if Taco got frequent UR infections, I would speculate that they were in part due to organ deformities resulting from her shell/bone pushing on her lungs.

How do I know whether she has "simple pryamiding" or underlying skeletal deformities as well? Can a vet determine this with an Xray?

I guess what I am really asking (can you tell my brain is at its nadir just as the sun is as well?), is, have any of you long-time tortoise keepers with pyramided torts noticed particular handicaps, internal or external, that you consider a result of pyramiding? Have you had a tortoise (gulp) die what you consider a premature death due to its pyramided shell?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A guy who lives in ojai rescues sulc's from people who no longer want or can keep them. He has like 70 on 13 acres and he showed us pics of one who died prematurely from severe pyramiding. So from his presentation they can die from severe pyramiding. The only problems I know of with pyramiding is usually from organ problems ( lungs mostly). Again I stress that it depends on the type of pyramiding, also I am no expert on chacos.

Status
Not open for further replies.