Pyramiding

Wolfie

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
My little Tort Lulu has some pyramiding she got from her past owners. Since she is still growing, will they smooth out over the years, or is she stuck with it pernamently?

Attachments

• 1468355785580.jpg
    1468355785580.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 53

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It will not reverse, but as new smooth growth comes in, it will be less pronounced.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
It's permanent but it's very mild in your case, I think if you prevent any future pyramiding she will have a very nice shell as an adult.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think it's anything to worry about. She's so cute, GOD bless. Just keep giving her daily soaks in warm water.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That tortoise looks great. I would call that very mild pyramiding.

Just remember that pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If you want to prevent future pyramiding, you'll need to simulate a hot, humid, monsoon season.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
That tortoise looks great. I would call that very mild pyramiding.

Just remember that pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If you want to prevent future pyramiding, you'll need to simulate a hot, humid, monsoon season.
What is monsoon season?

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
In Thailand, monsoon season is when it rains every day, twice a day almost by the clock, for at least two weeks twice a year. I'm sure there's a more scientific definition - hot air and moisture but ultimately, it's just a very wet time everywhere but it produces the lush gorgeous green land!

I remember we would tell visitors that Thailand had 4 seasons. Warm, warm and wet, hot, and hot and wet!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In Thailand, monsoon season is when it rains every day, twice a day almost by the clock, for at least two weeks twice a year. I'm sure there's a more scientific definition - hot air and moisture but ultimately, it's just a very wet time everywhere but it produces the lush gorgeous green land!

I remember we would tell visitors that Thailand had 4 seasons. Warm, warm and wet, hot, and hot and wet!

Tomas, my friend from Senegal, tells me there are but two seasons in the Sahel region of Africa: "Hot. And hotter."

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Hot, humid, and rainy.
Tom my daytime cool end enclosure reach 91F the hottest time, night time become 84F. Is this replicate monsoon "hot" categorize or it is too hot?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom my daytime cool end enclosure reach 91F the hottest time, night time become 84F. Is this replicate monsoon "hot" categorize or it is too hot?
Sounds good as long as its plenty humid and you soak often to maintain good hydration. My ambient creeps into the low 90s most days too, but my enclosure drop down to 79-80 at night.