Pyramiding

swils

Location (City and/or State)
Runcorn
Hi everyone I’ve just got my first tortoise a red foot he/she is about 4 years old and has some pyramiding. After talking to the lady I got him from I don’t think he’s had the best care I think just through ignorance as she was nice and had affection for him/her. I’ve ordered a uva uvb basking light and thermostat that is coming today Which he was not getting and I’ve given him a humid area in his enclosure I’m keeping between 70% and 80% also he was not getting any supplements in his diet so I have purchased some calcium and a multivitamin. Is there anything else I need to do or any tips anyone has so I can stop it getting any worse.

Attachments

• DE17B9A4-C367-4579-8963-C3AC10784EE4.jpeg
    DE17B9A4-C367-4579-8963-C3AC10784EE4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi everyone I’ve just got my first tortoise a red foot he/she is about 4 years old and has some pyramiding. After talking to the lady I got him from I don’t think he’s had the best care I think just through ignorance as she was nice and had affection for him/her. I’ve ordered a uva uvb basking light and thermostat that is coming today Which he was not getting and I’ve given him a humid area in his enclosure I’m keeping between 70% and 80% also he was not getting any supplements in his diet so I have purchased some calcium and a multivitamin. Is there anything else I need to do or any tips anyone has so I can stop it getting any worse.
If the "UVA, UVB" light is a mercury vapor bulb, return it.
You need a CHE for heat and a T5 HO UVB strip florescent tube lamp.
Those screw in bulbs produce sporadic levels of UVB and emit too much bright light and heat for a Redfoot. They also have a super drying effect that will dry out the tortoises carapace and lower humidity even more.
Please photograph your enclosure for further suggestions regarding warmth and humidity

swils

Runcorn
If the "UVA, UVB" light is a mercury vapor bulb, return it.
You need a CHE for heat and a T5 HO UVB strip florescent tube lamp.
Those screw in bulbs produce sporadic levels of UVB and emit too much bright light and heat for a Redfoot. They also have a super drying effect that will dry out the tortoises carapace and lower humidity even more.
Please photograph your enclosure for further suggestions regarding warmth and humidity

Attachments

• 2D92682E-B286-4B91-8EAC-F1386850A4FE.jpeg
    2D92682E-B286-4B91-8EAC-F1386850A4FE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

swils

Runcorn
It’s the enclosure he came with, I have an insulated shed with a electric supply I’m hoping to set up in the spring to be his permanent home with access to my garden when warm enough. I just thought for the first few months I’ll keep him in to keep an eye on him.

Attachments

• 56551C4A-FA05-4FF1-B85F-BA1B45E9EBC4.png
    56551C4A-FA05-4FF1-B85F-BA1B45E9EBC4.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 6

swils

Runcorn
This is the light that’s coming today, if you have better suggestions for the table or the shed please let me know as I’m a new keeper and want to do my best for my little friend.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is the light that’s coming today, if you have better suggestions for the table or the shed please let me know as I’m a new keeper and want to do my best for my little friend.
That is not the light you want at all. Return it and follow the advice given above by @ZEROPILOT = I would get the Arcadia Pro T5 6% kit and the a Ceramic Heat emmiter on a thermostat for ambient heat. Then get a plain 50 - 75 watt BR30 or A19 style bulb for basking ( those are regular Flood and old style bulbs)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. It has nothing to do with supplements or lighting. That ship has mostly sailed for this tortoise since it is mostly grown.

This tortoise needs to be in a large closed chamber with humidity 80+% all the time, and relatively dry substrate to prevent shell rot, which is common in this species. RFs don't need a basking area. Just warm temps over all.

The enclosure is much too small, and there is no way to maintain the correct heat an humidity with an open top.

Last edited:

CDaisyPhotoGirl

Murfreesboro
You are getting great advice above; Tom is my go-to for many things tortoise. Like he mentions, the habitat is far too small, needs to be much larger. I know all these folks coming at her that all this needs to change can be hard, it is all said with love.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This tortoise is lucky that you have him in your care. Follow the great advice!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your target ambient temperature is between 80 and 88.
82 to 84 is just perfect.
You also need humidity of over 70% and the only real way to maintain both warmth and humidity is with a closed chamber enclosure. (Think greenhouse or terrarium)
Your enclosure is too small and too cluttered and it has an open top.
There are several things we need to address here. But be patient. We'll get it sorted out.
In the meantime get him outside for some supervised sunlight time and start with some warm water soaks a few times a week.
What are you feeding?

Last edited:

swils

Runcorn
Your target ambient temperature is between 80 and 88.
82 to 84 is just perfect.
You also need humidity of over 70% and the only real way to maintain both warmth and humidity is with a closed chamber enclosure. (Think greenhouse or terrarium)
Your enclosure is too small and too cluttered. And it has an open top.
There are several things we need to address here. But be patient. We'll get it sorted out.
In the meantime get him outside for some supervised sunlight time and start with some warm water soaks a few times a week.
What are you feeding?
I’ve got the tortoise table app so mainly weeds and flowers from my garden with some romaine and lambs lettuce, I’ve been reading that they eat some fruit and protein so I’m looking into what’s best any suggestions would be appreciated. I do have an insulated shed with electricity that I’m planning on moving him into in the spring when I’ve got it ready.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’ve got the tortoise table app so mainly weeds and flowers from my garden with some romaine and lambs lettuce, I’ve been reading that they eat some fruit and protein so I’m looking into what’s best any suggestions would be appreciated. I do have an insulated shed with electricity that I’m planning on moving him into in the spring when I’ve got it ready.
Any fruit you eat, he can eat. I'm not aware of any fresh fruit that can't be fed to a RF. And the diet can be up to 60% fruit!
As you have probably seen, they don't hardly graze at all. But they will stop and munch on a weed or two.
A Redfoot tortoise can eat many hundreds of things. Just like with the fruit, they can also eat any other fresh non processed food that you eat. Whatever you're eating, It's very likely he can eat it too. It's one of the best things about RF keeping (they're easy to find food for)
Get his diet adjusted and offer a variety like you've been doing.