pyramiding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toledo Ohio
I recently adopted a 2 year old sully who my family named Sam because we are unsure of its sex. His/her previous owner fell into the Internet’s craze for raising sullies and kept him very dry (unsure if he ever seen the direct sun light) and only feed him romaine lettuce. Since adopting my little buddy it was soon weaned off romaine lettuce and begun eating home grown grass (special for him), alfalfa, dandelion greens and tortoise diet for grass land tortoise by zoo med as a snack. He has grown rapidly in a short time and is now about 6 inches and just under 2lbs! Unfortunately some pyramiding is seen (I will add photos to this thread ASAP). I don’t think it’s a big issue in fact the vet said this amount is expected in captivity but after joining this forum I began to understand we shouldn’t accept this. I know pyramiding is irreversible, but will it continue to increase? Also is pyramiding a health risk or a sign of further damage? I have had him just under a year now and have noticed no other side effects. Its eyes are always clear, no nasal bubbles, very active and has a good appetite. I read Tom care for a sully and learned allot!! He will be removed from the desert sand substrate this weekend.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just remember that not all pyramiding is bad, its when its associated with MBD when you have to really worry, cant wait to see photos...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard has some pyramiding, poor advice at time of purchase. I have since changed his enclosure, following Tom's threads on the subject and now my torts new growth is coming in smooth. So to answer your question, yes it can not be reversed, but yes the new can be grown smooth.:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome!!!! I wouldnt worry to much.. you cant make it go away.. but it can be stopped and it wont look as bad once he/she cont to grow. Pictures will tell a lot.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yup, once your torti gets big it will have just the little telltale bumps of life before you rescued it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the "damage" is done in the first few months of life. At two years old and 6", it will be difficult to change that pattern, but still worth a try. Providing the same conditions as I do for babies will not hurt a two year old and it should make an improvement in the new growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.