Quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
I don't know if this is in the right place but I couldn't think of anywhere else it would fit? Mods feel free to move it.

I wondered how many of you Quarantine new torts before putting them in with or near your torts.

If you do how long do you Quarantine for, what do you look for whilst they are in Quarantine and do you go through everything before handling any other tortoise (washing hands, cleaning things etc)

If you don't. Why not?

It's just purely out of interest and with me planning on getting a new one, or two, I don't know whether to Quarantine or just treat them like i did when I first bought Squirt home.
They will be living in a different enclosure to Squirt so by Quarantine I mean making sure I was my hands, use a different soaking bowl etc.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I always quarantine, even my red ear sliders, and I usually do it for 3 to 6 months depending on the species and where I got it from.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
When I added Leonardo to the group that was the ONE question that I totally forgot to ask. Ya know I just put him right in w/the rest. Definitely a bad move on my part I guess. Thank goodness nothing went wrong!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
tut tut... Naughty MrC! hehe.

I think Quarantining my new one will be a good idea. I'll get her a seperate soak bowl etc and wash my hands after I've dealt with it before I go to Squirt :)

What sort of signs do you look for in a Quarantined animal? I'm guessing loss of appetite, less energy, RNS etc?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I quarantine everybody. :D The length depends on where the animal comes from and what it is or what it's value is to me.

I was given a Russian a few years back from somebody wh had the animal for a long time. I knew how they did their quarantine and it was much like mine. That tortoise only had a couple of months.

Now if I were to get in a new Hingeback, it will face a year in quarantine. Most all animals coming in here get that year. I don't care if it is CB (captive breed) or WC (wild caught). I believe I would rather be safe then sorry. :cool:

I am looking for the health of course. I am also wanting to know what that tortoise really likes, how seasons affect it, little things so once I move it in with others, any odd behavior will stick out like a sore thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.