Question about movement of carapace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
This little 4" CDT I brought home from rescue is really cute. Despite his chewed up scutes he motates around nicely. I did notice that when I picked him up to wash poo off his tail, that when he moved his arms and legs I could feel movement in the carapace, almost if it were jointed.

Is this normal since he is young? Do I need to be concerned? We are going for a vet check next week...but I am just curious. Thanks !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I read your post I pictured a back-and-forth movement, but I'm thinking you might mean that it feels soft and has a "give" when you press it???

If that's the case, you need to get some liquid calcium into the baby. The plastron feels slightly soft for the first several months, but hardens up with no give after that.

The vet can give you some liquid calcium that is easy to administer. Then you have to be sure that your UV light is giving off the correct UV. How old is your light and what brand is it?

Sudhira

5 Year Member
The plastron is hard, the ridge down the center of the plastron moved...the shell itself is firm nor soft. Hard to explain, sorry...I have only had the little guy a couple of days! I will be seeing the vet this week I believe...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well be sure you show him what you're talking about. I can't picture it, but it doesn't sound right.

Status
Not open for further replies.