Question about pyramiding

Anna!

5 Year Member
How early can you detect pyramiding in a baby sulcata? Best guess says she is about three months old and I don't know if it is too early to tell if her shell is in trouble. I don't know about her moisture exposure before I got her. I got her at a reptile expo ten days ago and she was in an open top box with paper towels for substrate and no water dish. I don't know if that is indicative of how she was raised since birth or just how she was at the expo since it wasn't her normal habitat. There is a definite space between the edges of each scute but I don't know what is normal or not. Here is the best picture I can get. Thanks! image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell looking straight down like that. But it does look a bit like the new growth is lower than the surrounding scutes. I think you've caught it in time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can tell with the very first growth line. This one looks okay, but there is another problem... At three months old you should have a few growth lines. So either they lied about the age (my suspicion) or this baby is not growing.

Show us a plastron pic and I'll bet we can guess for you.

Anna!

5 Year Member
I hope she is growing! I've been weighing her since she got here and so far she has gained 1/8 of an ounce (not much, but it's only been ten days!). I am not familiar with what a growth line is, but I will be looking it up as soon as I post this plastron picture! image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah. You've got a very young one there. Probably hatched two weeks ago. This is not a bad thing. It means it was subjected to the wrong treatment at the breeders place for a shorter amount of time. If you follow my care sheet, you should have a healthy baby and enjoy many decades with this tortoise.

I'm going to go on record right now and predict you have a male. Some babies show it at hatching, even though most do not. I can't predict them all, but I can on this one. I've only guessed on a few, but so far I've been right on all that I guessed. PLEASE come back in 3 years and tell me if i was right or wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, I prefer to weigh in grams. Most of us do. It will save me from having to do the conversion if you list weight in grams. :)

Anna!

5 Year Member
Holy cow! I never would have guessed she was that little! That makes me feel a lot better. At least I know that she will be getting the proper care when she is this little. I have been following your care sheets religiously! She is In a closed house with lots of moisture and nice warm temperatures, and really enjoys getting her soaks and each day! Although I guess I should stop referring to her as a "her" and start saying "him"!! Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy cow! I never would have guessed she was that little! That makes me feel a lot better. At least I know that she will be getting the proper care when she is this little. I have been following your care sheets religiously! She is In a closed house with lots of moisture and nice warm temperatures, and really enjoys getting her soaks and each day! Although I guess I should stop referring to her as a "her" and start saying "him"!! Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!!
@Anna! Are you still out there? Is your baby male or female?

Emily Contreras

Arizona
so hows it going with your tort