Question about redfoot breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitCNC

5 Year Member
My 8" male has been mounting my 7.5" female lately and i was wondering if she is too young to bare eggs?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
It's possible,but it will probably be a while before you start getting viable eggs.

RabbitCNC

5 Year Member
jackrat said:
It's possible,but it will probably be a while before you start getting viable eggs.
How do you tell the difference between viable and non viable eggs?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I agree with jackrat. Although it is uncommon for smaller females to lay viable eggs it is possible. To find out if they are viable or not you should put them in an incubator, if the eggs are fertile than and after a period of time the eggs will begin to get dark on the inside starting from the top of the egg and gradually getting larger and larger as the embryo grows. You can view this chalking over as well as the blood vessels by carefully holding a flashlight up to the egg.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I thought my female bigred was to small to lay eggs but about 15 months ago she started to lay and layed 3 clutches. She was probably about 9 inches.

RabbitCNC

5 Year Member
bigred said:
I thought my female bigred was to small to lay eggs but about 15 months ago she started to lay and layed 3 clutches. She was probably about 9 inches.

Well i can wait for my female to grow a little more so i can experience the miracle of life. It must be incredible. :D

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
WoW! You have talent. I am way impressed. I have a 40g I can set up for my lil' CherryBomb and I may poach some of your designs.

Ummmm.....where did I post this?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
RabbitCNC said:
bigred said:

Well i can wait for my female to grow a little more so i can experience the miracle of life. It must be incredible. :D

Your time will come as far as eggs go. Its pretty cool to hatch out little torts

Status
Not open for further replies.