Question for Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Danny - can you help please!

This is my dilema - i have always believed George, my Indian Star, was a girl, recently she/ he? has been exposing something pink from her bottom. The vet said she could be straining and turning her bottom out and to ensure it goes straight back in. I have been soaking her every third day, as she has a habit of storing her poop, to encourage her to past it more regular but she doesn't!
So my question is if the shots below show she is a female is there anything other than soaking, and giving butternut squash, courettes (wet food) to make her go more easily.

George

DSCF3555.jpg

DSCF3554.jpg

and could you check Frankie as well please

DSCF3557.jpg

DSCF3558.jpg

Many thanks Danny!

Leanne

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have raised a lot of stars and I would say that that is a female, almost for sure. It does sound like she may be straining a little esp. if you are seeing hard urates being passed when you soak her. If this was a male Indian it should have a much longer tail at this size and it would also not be nearly as round or wide. Males are much more elongated. Your soaking sounds like it is right on so you probably have no worries.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
elegans said:
I have raised a lot of stars and I would say that that is a female, almost for sure. It does sound like she may be straining a little esp. if you are seeing hard urates being passed when you soak her. If this was a male Indian it should have a much longer tail at this size and it would also not be nearly as round or wide. Males are much more elongated. Your soaking sounds like it is right on so you probably have no worries.

Thanks elegans but it is not hard urates that i am seeing it is actually fleshy parts coming from her bottom. With that in mind should i still carry on with soaking more than usual or could i do something else as well, don't want her to feel pain or her bottom not to return!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They both look like females to me Leanne :)

If George is having trouble passing poo, than you can give her an enema of baby oil. This will loosen things up and help things pass easier. Adding butternut squash and maybe some cucumber to her diet might be helpful.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Now I was going to say females also. Danny I'd like to see you perform that procedure.....or would I? :( That doesn't sound like a fun thing to do to a tortoise and if you are going to be doing that don't you have to be experienced at it?

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:

If George is having trouble passing poo, than you can give her an enema of baby oil. This will loosen things up and help things pass easier. Adding butternut squash and maybe some cucumber to her diet might be helpful.

Danny

I am glad that they are both females! thanks everyone for their ID's

Danny - is it her internal bottom that i see? sometimes her poos are like the lenght of her shell! and she has poo'd it out in one section before. It was like she was constirpated and straining, thats when i up'd her soaks. She hasn't strain like that since but her bottom has exposed some flesh since.

Don't like the sound of the enema, let me rephase, don't like the sound of me trying to give her an enema. i'll try the cucmber, i assume get rid of seeds and give flesh? but how often? would i continue until it stopped happening and then use as a laxative if it then happened again in the future? can i up the buttenut squash to twice a week? and finally does it matter if frankie eats it as well, she likes her grub!

Sorry for so many questions

Leanne

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You could also add cooked canned pumpkin from the grocery store to her favorite food in moderation and that acts really well as a laxative. You may just be watching her normal routine. I have some that wiggle while they poop others that walk and some just stand still??? No clue why they behave differently. It does not sound to me like you have any real problem though. Have a great weekend. Douglas

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
elegans said:
You could also add cooked canned pumpkin from the grocery store to her favorite food in moderation and that acts really well as a laxative. You may just be watching her normal routine. I have some that wiggle while they poop others that walk and some just stand still??? No clue why they behave differently. It does not sound to me like you have any real problem though. Have a great weekend. Douglas

Many Thanks Douglas - i will keep an eye out for canned pumpkin!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I like the organic canned pumpkin at Whole Foods (not sure if you are in the U.S. or not). Otherwise, you can get the stuff like you'd use to make pumpkin pure except make sure it doesn't have the sugar stuff mixed in (pure pumpkin only). Whole Foods also has organic canned butternut squash!

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
George said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

I am glad that they are both females! thanks everyone for their ID's

Well guys - there has been a development with George - she is in fact a 'he' despite all the above and the flesh i was witnessing was his penis as confirmed by Danny in a pm! so guys beware all is definately not what it seems! Lol

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm wondering if Frankie is a boy as there isn't any difference in the 2 of them :p

Danny

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
I'm wondering if Frankie is a boy as there isn't any difference in the 2 of them :p

Danny

That would be good, was not looking forward to sleepless nights of tortoise love :p seen the video of the tortoise and the shoe!

I will just have to wait and see if i get a flash, now i know what to expect, it shouldn't be now though, as George has 5 months of living on Frankie!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It is so much easier to sex them if they just stick it out for us to see isn't it? :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.