Questions About Terracotta Saucer Water Dish

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I bought this for a water dish: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAPSVW8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Is this good for a tortoise? It is about 2 inches deep. Is that too high for the tortoise to get in and out of it?

Also, should I sink it into the substrate so the lip is only slightly above the ground? And, should I fill it all the way with water or is that too much?
I think it's a bit too deep for a tort. Sorry, don't mean to let you down here, ok?

Did you get a tort yet? If so, please post pics of him/her and his/her enclosure.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Buddybenj

Thanks for the advice. Could you please link me an acceptable water dish that isn't too deep. All the other terracotta saucers I looked at were also about 2 inches deep.

I haven't got the tortoise yet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is there a nursery or a home improvement store near you?
The terracotta ones are what I have been using. they are shallow and offer good traction.
That one could be used if you place a layer of small stones in the bottom. (But stones too large for a tortoise to swallow.)
There are also glazed flower pot saucers that are shallow and the glaze makes them super easy to wipe clean.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks for the advice. Could you please link me an acceptable water dish that isn't too deep. All the other terracotta saucers I looked at were also about 2 inches deep.

I haven't got the tortoise yet.
There are very many threads on "water dishes." You could read those, and if you need further help, do not hesitate to ask for it.:)

Look forward to seeing pics of your tort.:)

Buddybenj

I looked through the threads on water dishes but I couldn't find one which linked to an item on Amazon (or any other website). I just saw some pictures and I couldn't find any online which looked like them.

Also, how much do I fill the saucer?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
How big is your tortoise? If the saucer is too deep for them, you could always put some river pebbles on the bottom of the dish to make it more shallow.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I looked through the threads on water dishes but I couldn't find one which linked to an item on Amazon (or any other website). I just saw some pictures and I couldn't find any online which looked like them.

Also, how much do I fill the saucer?
baby-dishes.jpg

See? This only is a shallow one. Oli (my beloved Greek tort has on like it, which Ed (@ZEROPILOT ) sent me. Thanks Ed!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt you'll have to worry about the depth of the dish. I have several Russian tortoises and I've seen them drink out of their saucer, but I've never seen them get in it.

The dish you bought is just fine. Dig a circular hole in the ground and sink the dish down so the lip is level with the ground. Then put a layer of small pebbles in the bottom to make it a bit more shallow (just in case you get a tortoise that likes to bathe).

Buddybenj

The image isn't showing up for me. Also, I can't find where to buy one of the shallow ones.

Buddybenj

I doubt you'll have to worry about the depth of the dish. I have several Russian tortoises and I've seen them drink out of their saucer, but I've never seen them get in it.

The dish you bought is just fine. Dig a circular hole in the ground and sink the dish down so the lip is level with the ground. Then put a layer of small pebbles in the bottom to make it a bit more shallow (just in case you get a tortoise that likes to bathe).
Thanks!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, I can't find where to buy one of the shallow ones.

Is it an option to go to Lowes, Home Depot or Osh? They all have what you need.

I think the dish you bought is too deep and its that plastic stuff too, which I'm not a fan of.

Rue

Canada
Why is it THAT expensive? Especially if it's plastic?

I bought what I thought was a super expensive terra cotta designer saucer from a garden centre...for $7.

Most of the others are $2-5. I bought those at Walmart...or Home Depot...etc.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
baby-dishes.jpg
Here you go, I am sending you the pic again. Please confirm receipt.

Buddybenj

Is it an option to go to Lowes, Home Depot or Osh? They all have what you need.

I think the dish you bought is too deep and its that plastic stuff too, which I'm not a fan of.
I have a Home Depot. But, I think I may just take Yvonne's advice.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
This is what you need , it comes in as many sizes as the pots do ;

pACE3-3912952enh-z8.jpg
As Tom said you can get them just about any where plants or planting supply's are sold